Car Insurance for one living anywhere and nowhere

Honestly these guys just want to argue more than anything about who is smarter.

I’m a broker based out of Los Angeles. As you may know there’s a lot of homeless in LA. I myself have written tons of policies for people living out of their cars and people without a permanent address. It best to always get a policy within the state that you have your license in. Most people even if homeless park there car somewhere or have a relative they know the address of. You can put that down as where you garage your car. Then just put a PO box as your mailing address or even a virtual mailbox if you move around so often that you can’t use a P.O. box. You can research those more online. And just always have opt in for email instead of regular mail.

Like I said in LA policies for people without a permanent address is pretty common. Cars need insurance just say as little as possible the reason you’re getting wishy washy answers or no answers at all is you give too much info and the sales reps don’t want to get into trouble by giving you bad info.

When it comes to claims they don’t really get into where the car is parked unless you bring it up. So just when they ask where it’s parked just say the address you put on file. If you’re with a good company most claims reps have so much on their plate anyways that they just process the claim as quick as possible so that everyone is happy

I am very grateful for the replies!

My particular position is that I work online via web stuff, so have no permanent address.

I will literally not be in any particular part of america or any state than in any other state. I have no real "home state" per se.

Does that mean just pick a state, get an address there through someone I know, then get a license there, then get insurance there?

Will this insurance be legit in every state here in North American America?

Please and thank you, so much!

to further clarify specifics, if it helps, I am a resident currently of Michigan but have no particular care to be so anymore. The car insurance rates I pay are over $200 a month, even tho I do not have an accident or ticket of any kind to my name in life, except for a cracked windshield fixit/ticket and yes, a lack of insurance once a decade ago.

I asked for the most bare minimum package -possible-, not one feature added. That was the best deal I could get, with a $500 down lol (i have a 97 Saturn, I pretty much paid the bluebook in my first six months).

I would *like* to have a FULL package plan, all the fixins as I'll be on the road more than people are in their homes haha, so yeah - seems put my money where my time is, no?

doing so on Michigan rates would put me something like $350's for a decent package - on a car that isn't $2k in total cash value.

I definitely appreciate the help, as I do want to be sure I "capture the spirit of the law" in how to go about these things. to know that if i'm to be a 'slipped between the cracks' kind of case, that things will lean my way.

The challenge is insurance is sold by state. This is actually a state law in every state, not something the insurance companies made up. Each state has their own insurance rules and regulations though in the US, a policy written in any state is valid in all states.

Insurance has to be written in the state you either park the car on a regular basis or the state you claim as your primary residence. For the state you claim, I know you are trying to avoid such a thing, but look at your license. There is a state there. Use that. Not that? Use the state you are using on your tax return. I know you file taxes and have to claim a state there.

I don't understand what is driving such a non-rooted existence, but its all good. Use the address on your license and get the coverage you need. Yes, Michigan is probably one of the highest premium states, but if you don't want that, then 'move' and change your license and use that state.

Insurance companies tend not to like people that don't have 'roots'. There are reasons why, some of which are eluded to in this thread but there are many more.

Insurance agents (at least the more experienced ones) don't like these types of policies as they tend to lapse on a monthly basis. They tend to be far more work and its almost impossible to verify the garaging address, which is very important to the proper rating of a policy. This means if the policy doesn't lapse, it will tend to be a high loss policy. Not necessarily you specifically, but in general.

Good luck. Enjoy your 'wild' years and make the most out of it.

wow - that was exactly what I was trying to find, thank you guys

insurance companies couldn't care less - what they *want* is a person who can jot down a permanent mailing address they can send to that's in the same state the insurance is to be issued, someone who will make their payments and not be any sort of 'fuss' for any details... just a simple thing, and done. lol

thank you

There is something wrong with your Math. Michigan minimum liability is 20/40/10 and you say you are paying 200 per month with 500 down. That doesn't add up. I write in one of the most expensive states, Maryland, and minimum liability without full coverage would not cost 75 per month with no down payment. Plus you Saturn is worth 1500 tops. Unless you have to pay the first 6 months up front or there is more to the situation, your quoted rate is tough to understand. You should also watch out for stretching the truth about where you garage the car. Lying on an application is fraud and usually rears its ugly head in the event of a claim

California is by far the most expensive place for car insurance, especially Los Angeles area. You’ll be better off calling one of the bigger name places to get cheaper insurance that will definitely cover you anywhere you go no problem. Like Geico or Progressive, which tend to be the less expensive options here at least.

Just get a license in the state you’re a resident. Insurance is also dependent on where you live so maybe try a zip code in a more rural area to get a better price. Unless you have tickets liability in California at least should always be under $100 unless you’re under the age of 25 then you’ll see an increase.

There is something wrong with your Math. Michigan minimum liability is 20/40/10 and you say you are paying 200 per month with 500 down. That doesn't add up. I write in one of the most expensive states, Maryland, and minimum liability without full coverage would not cost 75 per month with no down payment. Plus you Saturn is worth 1500 tops. Unless you have to pay the first 6 months up front or there is more to the situation, your quoted rate is tough to understand. You should also watch out for stretching the truth about where you garage the car. Lying on an application is fraud and usually rears its ugly head in the event of a claim

If one moves away from "minimum to be on the road" to "prudent coverage for today", what do you recommend to your clients?

Back