Car Insurance Is Too High After Address Change To Another State

yep, like hesse said. their medical requirements are crazy!

MI is the only state with required unlimited lifetime benes.... the auto insurance company has to cover up to 530K in medical claims.... then a state mandated fund (which drivers pay an additional $150 per year/per vehicle on top of) kicks in if the 530K is exhausted.

add them together and you get an off the hook premium.

and yes, WV is very high premium also, but for other reasons that have been mentioned. WV ranks #1 for deer collisions. 1 in every 39 vehicles. plus the rural areas and high mountains make for some very serious accidents.

Last edited:
South Carolina rates tend to be high, but Georgia is even worse. Both states reeling from a lot of fraud/misrepresentation, and has caused rates to skyrocket for everyone. I know of several carriers taking double digit % rate increases year over year.

Aside from that, zip code plays a factor in your rate and if you moved to Atlanta metro or South GA, those areas were hit hardest by problems.
In addition, time at your address can affect your premium, as well as home ownership (for example owned a home in s.c. but are renting in GA) plus if you still have an out of state license, that can cause you to get hit with a surcharge.

Didn't Allstate take a 25% increase last year on rates in GA?

I was considering getting my GA license, but at the rate they are going... it may just be cheaper to get people to move to AL.

Holy Christ...no limit on PIP???

The Lawyers and Chiropractors must "LOVE" Michigan !!!

Dayum...!!!

Yes they do, and likewise, auto insurance companies "HATE" Michigan because they are on the hook for the first 530K!

That's another factor in why prices are so high.... lack of competition.

Holy Christ...no limit on PIP???

The Lawyers and Chiropractors must "LOVE" Michigan !!!

Dayum...!!!

Grew up, spent most of my life in Michigan. Moved to FL a few years back. The problem is rampant in both states, but Michigan is on its own level.

I can't tell you how many personal injury lawyer commercials you'll see. The amount gets multiplied if you're watching free local TV (no surprise there :P).

With such high medical costs even in legitimate claims, then compounding by the increased incentive to fluff claims and stage accidents... yeah it's a nightmare and you'll pay for it in your premiums.

"No-fault law will reduce court costs" they said. "It'll be fun" they said

Back