Car Insurance. Your insurance coverage may be jeopardized if you have poor vision.

moussirAbdelkarim

Car Insurance. Your insurance coverage may be jeopardized if you have poor vision. If you have an accident and it is discovered that you failed to keep your automobile roadworthy, such as by having excessively worn tyres, and that this was a contributing cause in the accident, your insurance is likely to refuse to pay. And the cops could be interested as well! Many of you would argue that this is perfectly acceptable. But what if you’re the one who’s unfit for the road?

How many car accidents are followed by the phrase “I didn’t see the other car“? And what if it’s your vision that’s the issue? Has it gotten to the point where it’s dangerous?

We all know if we have a vision problem, but there are opticians on every main street to assist us. Remember that if you require contact lenses or glasses for driving, you must wear them, and you should get a new prescription if your eyesight deteriorates. All drivers have a legal obligation to ensure that they are safe to drive.

I came up to an old driver who was plainly having problems seeing the intersection signs only a few weeks ago. He was bending forward, attempting to read the signs pointing to Leeds, and driving at 10 mph – all of this at traffic lights that had become red by this time, and he definitely hadn’t noticed those! He was fortunate that the automobiles approaching from the right saw him early.I’m not sure he even noticed them!

The legislation is simple: anyone with a driver’s license who cannot satisfy the required level of vision is not allowed to drive. They must also forfeit their driver’s license.

Drivers must be able to see a number plate with letters and numbers 50 mm wide and 79 mm high (a valid number plate) from a distance of 20 meters, according to the vision test. You can, however, use your driving glasses.

Having said that, you are not compelled by law to have frequent eyesight exams, but you must notify the DVLA if you have any medical condition that impairs your ability to drive. It is a criminal offense if you do not inform them.

Some states in the United States require drivers to get an eye examination every five years, although this is not the case in the United Kingdom. Every three years, drivers aged 70 and up must fill out a medical document proving their ability to drive, with the term of “fitness” including eyesight. If these drivers do not submit their medical forms, their driver’s license will be suspended.(I’m curious as to what that old gentleman at the traffic lights had to say on his phone.)

In terms of insurance, if you are involved in an accident in which your poor vision was a contributing cause, your insurance company may argue that you were negligent and refuse to pay. It’s possible that this is due to the fact that you needed glasses to drive but weren’t wearing them at the time.

So drive cautiously and keep a look out – old gentlemen in Leeds, take heed!
cars-with-dented-bumpers-gettyimages-1200.jpg

That might be in England but in the US we pay for stupidity every day and even 20/20 vision gets the "I didn't see them" excuse. Personally I would like to see elder drivers need to take a driving test every 5 years after 65 and every 2 years after 70. I would like to see it mandatory for a physician to report if he/she thinks that there are sufficient impairments to properly drive. perhaps Prince Phillip would have been declared ineligible and not had the rollover but I'm sure that the Crown has sway over any and all rules as they apply to commoners. In the US, the President and former Presidents are not permitted to drive, EVER. i will await your SPAM post which is sure to follow

Back