Career Changers

I don't see how you could make it with out hooking up with a captive either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me most successful agents started off captive then went off on their own.

Maybe Frank Stastny started off on his own??? Frank, you out there??

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me most successful agents started off captive then went off on their own.

Maybe Frank Stastny started off on his own??? Frank, you out there??

Present.

Yes, I started captive. I did so for the promise of training, support and leads. However, my "training" consisted of being handed a Medicare Guide book. I said I had questions, they said don't worry you will pick it up as you go along.

My "leads", I was handed a voter registration list for the county because it had the date of birth of each voter.

I was determined to be successful in spite of it.

The one thing that was provided to agents was a good ass chewing and public embarrassment at meetings for agents who didn't do well the week before. If the agent did well he was a hero, if that same agent did poorly the next week he was a bum. After the first few "meetings" I stopped attending.

I did extremely well when captive, I won just about every trip they offered. I was literally treated like a "king". The president sent a limo to the airport to pick me up when I went to convention. I was also one of the top producers out of around 38,000 captive agents.

I don't regret starting captive but it didn't furnish me with any kind of safety net. What I learned I learned on my own. Most of what I did I was criticized for because I didn't do it "their way".

I don't believe an agent can be successful in today's market, the senior market, being a captive agent. I started in 1993.

Frank, I am glad to see you posting given all the news I've been hearing from MO.

Being captive does not appeal to me in any way; I think I would endure countless dressing down for doing it "my way," as it sounds like you did. You have addressed one of the things I wanted to talk to you about when I call (today or tomorrow, depending on the schedule), which is working part time and from home. As I continue my study pending full time, I think "getting my feet wet" with the the help of a mentor(s) will be of great benefit.

Thanks for the input.

I'm also making a career change, after ruining my body in the military, a got into the plumbing field thinking it might be a little easier. Well no one was shooting at me this time, but I did rupture my achillies tendon which is no joke.

I decided to get into insurance not because its easy, I just don't want to be in a wheelchair at 40. I also like the fact that I'm working for myself and my success or failure depends on me.

Right now I'm in the getting licensed/e&o/contracted phase. Which takes some time, so if you do decide to make the switch I would advise that you take care these before you give your two weeks notice.

I'm not sure I want to target just the Senior market. I think I would enjoy selling all age's including P/C insurance. I have a couple of people interested in running my contracting business which would allow me to keep that income rolling in while I build up an insurance biz. I'm looking down the road the future looks a bit brighter in the insurance field.

now p&c is harder to go indy, e&o around $3000, contracts are hard to get. you have to join a wholesaler, or a cluster. i suggest to first get the life and health down.

Back