Looking for some advice/feedback for someone thinking about a career change

Jgage916

Hello insurance forum. I stumbled across this doing a google search about getting started in insurance. I read the stickied post by NC Agent and after more searching I decided to make a post here. I am currently a CNC machinist here in rural upstate SC, I like the job fine but I’ve been debating a career change for a while now with no real idea of what I wanted to do. I’ve worked in manufacturing since I was 16 and been a machinist the last 10 but the reality of manufacturing is there’s an ever looming risk of showing up at work to find out you’re job is going somewhere else, not to mention I’m tired of 12 hour shifts standing on concrete especially when I would have 32 more years of it before retiring.

I’m not really sure what got me thinking about insurance, I’ve been exploring all my options and kept coming back to this. I’d love to hear feedback from anyone that has made a career change to this industry and their experiences good and bad. I would also love to hear recommendations on which of the online courses to prepare forms the licensing test people recommended. Honestly any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello insurance forum. I stumbled across this doing a google search about getting started in insurance. I read the stickied post by NC Agent and after more searching I decided to make a post here. I am currently a CNC machinist here in rural upstate SC, I like the job fine but I’ve been debating a career change for a while now with no real idea of what I wanted to do. I’ve worked in manufacturing since I was 16 and been a machinist the last 10 but the reality of manufacturing is there’s an ever looming risk of showing up at work to find out you’re job is going somewhere else, not to mention I’m tired of 12 hour shifts standing on concrete especially when I would have 32 more years of it before retiring.

I’m not really sure what got me thinking about insurance, I’ve been exploring all my options and kept coming back to this. I’d love to hear feedback from anyone that has made a career change to this industry and their experiences good and bad. I would also love to hear recommendations on which of the online courses to prepare forms the licensing test people recommended. Honestly any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Great career if you are disciplined enough make yourself do the things you don't like to do as well as the things you like doing.

AD Banker is the one I used for both my SC license (when I was too young and dumb to be disciplined in my approach) and when I relicensed in MI.

Before you do anything, I would strongly suggest figuring out if you want to do property and casualty or Life and health as your primary product.

It's easier to find a job with P&C, and easier to start a business with L&H.

After that, I'd dig into what really appeals to you in that license and learn about the market.

For example, do you want to work in Medicare? Great residual income, easier sale, more education.

Do you want to work in life? Larger upfront commission. Smaller residuals, if available. Harder sale, less education required.

Do you want to work in Disability? Less competition, good residuals, "harder" lead generation.

You need money for marketing, in almost all cases, and you gotta eat before commissions really start coming in.

Those are the big start things to figure out.

I appreciate it all. P&C is what I was thinking but I really don’t know much about any other type.

My husband was a CNC programmer, and I understand what you are saying about manufacturing. He made a successful transition to being an L&H independent producer. That is what suited him best. I think you need to know your "Why," and what do you want, who do you want to be around. In a specific company for specific hours, or work independently with support? Work for a single company or have access to many. Can you work at home or need someone to help with the distractions?

Take the time to learn more about your skills and likes; you will know better what to choose. Interview with and talk to companies and people you are drawn to and have researched. If you decide to do this, we want you to be set up to succeed.

I wish you tremendous success in whatever your future holds.

Back