Career Path....?

Thanks Gilmore,

Don't know what you mean as far as "Getting caught." I suppose that unethical and even illegal kickbacks are going on. I've only heard rumors about this kind of stuff.

I'm with you though....After all....What good is money if you can't sleep?

There are days when I kick myself for not playing the game. I'd have a hellava lot more money and all I'd have to worry about is getting caught.

Thanks Matt,

As far as number two, how to land business, the above is correct, prospect, prospect,.....

I got going from cold calling and walking into businesses to introduce myself. I would start out in the under 20 market as you get going and learn the business. .

Last edited:
Good Luck to you!

I started by majoring in Risk Management. Look to friends and carriers that are present in the area. Find a carrier that will train you. Unum likes to hire people that they can train and mold. Otherwise, Assurant, Cigna, UnitedHealthcare, Aetna, etc will work.

For those of you responding......I am considering opening my own small group agency. Any tips on how to do this in a cost effective manner. Will work from home to begin.

Thanks,
Brent
[email protected]

How you get started would depend on a few things:

1. Do you know what you are doing? I didn't when I started, so I worked with a mentor on a 50/50 split basis.

2. Do the carriers in your area have production requirements? In my area, each carrier except one requires a certain amount of production per year or they will terminate a contract. They differ slightly, but about 50 new contracts each. Very possible if you work the business full time.

As far as contracting direct or through an GA, I can't help you there. I don't know about your state or how the companies operate. I would search around for a successful independent broker and ask to take that person to lunch. I'm always amazed at the willingness of people in this business to help when asked.

Back