Carrier Reps - I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

PlacementKid - Wouldn't that be nice - write the business we send you rather than you pushing us to go get the business that you like to write!

Well, I guess MGA's and Program Admins wouldn't be in business if carriers could figure out how to be flexible and write a little out of their underwriting guidelines.

I do have some UW's that are great in writing business that is just outside the box, it's the reason why we write so much with them.

Here's the thing, I remember the carriers that help me write a tougher risk. I especially remember them when I have a cherry that we can write, because I owe them one.

The reps that only cherry pick lose out on those ones because they aren't stepping up any other time.

That's just it. The Pareto principle applies. 20% of the UW's work harder to place the business. And I am talking about hard-to-place, high mod type of risks. The other 80% appear to be just 'order-takers'. If it ain't on the menu, ummm they just ignore you.

Frustrating some days, but I hear and agree with you, when you have the cherries throw it to the folks that go to bat for you when you really need them.

I think 1822 is sharing his frustration with some of the "phone calls" and daily interruption's of running a biz.

I was in my accountants office the other day and he got 3 telemarketing calls inn 20 mins. I could see the frustration in his face. THAT'S why "big wigs" have appointment setters and secretaries to screen their calls.

Get a secretary to handle calls....or put them to voice mail?

I am wondering...do either you or 1822 ever make a solicitation phone call to someone whom you may be disturbing?

Which is why I honestly can't get mad at someone calling me unexpectedly. Sometimes I simply don't have time to talk to them, which I tell them up front, but I figure if nothing else it's at least good karma to hear them out before I just tell them to go away.

I've gotten use to telling them when they come hounding me for business that they need to write the business I send them. It's no secret here and I'm not withholding any business. If you want to write business, write the damn business!

What a novel concept!

You couldn't be more correct. And this very reason is why I have basically shred an entire book with a carrier this year. If you don't want the things I send you that are pristine risks, but just happen to not fit in nice and neat guidelines, then why do I want to send you the easy stuff? Might as well bulk up my book with a company that helps me when I need it.

I don't have a problem with people calling me. I do however, take an issue with a) Them not keeping notes of our last call(s) and important parts of that conversation and b) Not even trying to go the extra yard to win more of my business.

What a novel concept!

You couldn't be more correct. And this very reason is why I have basically shred an entire book with a carrier this year. If you don't want the things I send you that are pristine risks, but just happen to not fit in nice and neat guidelines, then why do I want to send you the easy stuff? Might as well bulk up my book with a company that helps me when I need it.

You also have to remember some of these carriers are bound by re-insurance treaties as well.

For instance the old carrier I was out we wrote Fuel Dealers but we really didn't write them .. we took on like 5% of the risk and the other like 95% we bulked up on reinsurance .. so while the Dec. page said us it was really Munich Re would wrote it .. they set the u/w rules.

And actuaries with Reinsurance carriers for those of you who work with actuaries know they... DO NOT DIVERGE FROM GUIDELINES.

Back