Checklist prior to going Independent

Currently a captive agent (MAPD & Supps) although looking to go independent next year. What are some things I need to look at prior to making the move. I've read other threads on here regarding FMO's and I know I must make sure they grant a release if things go sour. Also, never assign commissions. What are some other things I need to know? Would I need to get an LLC and register as an Agency/GA if I'm going the independent route? I appreciate any input on this topic.
Nothing prepares you more than jumping in. But make sure you have some money saved up to cover yourself for as long as you can. Be prepared to work extra hours. Reach out to as many people that you think can help you as you can to find out the most efficient ways for your business. There are many ways to go about in this business and believe me no one FMO knows it all.

Upping this. Finally making the leap in 2022. What are some transparent/reliable FMOs I should consider looking into? (primarily doing MAPD/Med Supp)

Ask yourself what form of sales & marketing strategies will you do? Will you be leaning towards phone sales, F2F, cold calling, mailer, marketing seminars, social media marketing? Not all FMOs will be responsive to your inquiries, the ones that do cannot replace your own careful examination of this industry. Eventually, you need to be both comfortable to work with one or two FMO(s), and also they really need to be a good fit with your business model. Most FMOs can give you some advice on common practices like marketing seminars, mailers...etc. but that's pretty much it. It takes more than getting some advice on this forum to find an FMO that would be a good fit for you because you need to jump in and find out first...hence you may encounter a release issue on your way to a greater path. Just be prepared to engage in "battles" in all forms in this industry, including selecting a proper upline. I won't give out names here, but you are probably been bombarded by some big/popular names on the forum already. No one is a wrong choice, but you have to know how are you going to conduct your business to find the "best" fit.

Back