Claim or Adjuster Question

dluher

I am selling my home. Buyer was under contract. Buyer noticed some small indentations on my external ac unit and a various small marks on the fence. Buyer wants me to file a claim with my insurance and get an adjuster to examine the roof, ac, and fence for possible hail damage. I have talked to neighbors and 2 insurance agents and they say there was no hail damage in my area. I have called my insurance company and they say I have no basis for a claim and it could be considered possible insurance fraud if I file a claim for hail damage when there was no hail damage in my area. Buyer will not accept any other kind of inspection other than an insurance claim adjuster. Any suggestions on what I should or should not do. I have a fairly large deductible ($3000). I personally do not feel there is any basis for the buyers complaint. The AC is working fine and the fence is in better than average condition for its age. I don't notice anything unusual about the roof.

I am selling my home. Buyer was under contract. Buyer noticed some small indentations on my external ac unit and a various small marks on the fence. Buyer wants me to file a claim with my insurance and get an adjuster to examine the roof, ac, and fence for possible hail damage. I have talked to neighbors and 2 insurance agents and they say there was no hail damage in my area. I have called my insurance company and they say I have no basis for a claim and it could be considered possible insurance fraud if I file a claim for hail damage when there was no hail damage in my area. Buyer will not accept any other kind of inspection other than an insurance claim adjuster. Any suggestions on what I should or should not do. I have a fairly large deductible ($3000). I personally do not feel there is any basis for the buyers complaint. The AC is working fine and the fence is in better than average condition for its age. I don't notice anything unusual about the roof.

It's not fraud, but the claim will probably be denied and your rates will go up on future property insurance.

Buyer is probably just being either ignorant or am ***. Did you already have the property inspection? Buyer can want whatever they want, bit if it's not in the contact they're stuck and you have no obligation outside of the contract. I presume part of that was a competent building inspector looked over the property, but an insurance adjuster inspection is something different altogether. They could hire an independent adjuster to do the inspection if those exist in your state, but what they are asking for is asinine.

Is your realtor much help?

The hail in the Dallas area occurred after the buyers inspection. I have 5 people who say there was no reported damage in my area. Yes, buyer is acting like a jerk.

Josh - why would rates go up if the claim is denied?

Because that's the way the carriers file it with the state?

It's that way in NY and I believe Florida as well. I'm sure you have about the same theories I would as to the logic behind it, but it's just a thing carriers do in some other states ;)

It is illegal for Carriers to single out a client for a rate increase because of a property claim. Carriers are only allowed to make area premium increases.

The insurance claim is not in the purchase contract, so your buyer's demand has no basic. Just follow the contract, and have your agent modify the MLS listing to accept backup offer (in case the current transaction fall through).

Back