Client that calls repeatedly

( And by the way, I hope you are enjoying life on the "Portugese Riviera"! )

I appreciate that. Living the dream, learning the language is a bit difficult.
When you change service agents, the renewal commission generally stays with the writing agent.
I can only speak of Life and DI, other types of individual insurance other people with greater knowledge can chime in.

When you change service agents, the renewal commission generally stays with the writing agent.
I can only speak of Life and DI, other types of individual insurance other people with greater knowledge can chime in.

I remember when I wrote my own $1 million term policy when I was at a credit union. When I left, I wanted to transfer the agent from that agency to myself. They wouldn't let me nor move the commissions over.

So I cancelled it and rewrote it with another company.

In group health if you change the broker of record that broker will get the commission renewals.
There was a guy in Florida who was a star at FSU and played pro ball.
He would try go around and try to find businesses owned by FSU grads.
If they changed their health insurance broker of record to him he would speak at their events.
He acquired a large block of business.
The problem with firing a client and the renewal stays with you is that you are responsible for servicing that client unless he replaces your business.
Responding by email or text creates a trail so if he sends in a complaint you have a record that you have not ignored him.
I did a 6 month stint in compliance, you would not believe the complaints that come in.

You may be able to reference that application number with another agent appointed with Athene and do a 'broker of record' change to a new agent to continue it? It's not usually done because it's still pending, but at least you should have the application number.

Doesn't sound like an app was ever submitted, which in that case isn't the agent's only duty to be kind and informative when actually talking to a potential client?

I know that once an app is signed, your level of obligation rises significantly, but with an unsigned app, wouldn't the agent be free to halt communication regardless of method?

"I know that once an app is signed, your level of obligation rises significantly, but with an unsigned app, wouldn't the agent be free to halt communication regardless of method?"
You would think so but that would not stop someone from sending in a complaint justified or not.

You may be able to reference that application number with another agent appointed with Athene and do a 'broker of record' change to a new agent to continue it? It's not usually done because it's still pending, but at least you should have the application number.

Btw, lately I've had network issues with a particular company getting things e-signed and paid (not Athene). Maybe they had AT&T for their IT?

My concepts of computer stuff comes from the dark ages.

While I did help my wife get a 486 laptop once, the only laptop I have ever had was a dual floppy Tandy 1400 LT.

I had an old tower with Windows XP and am currently struggling with an older computer overpowered by windows 10.

All that is to say I have about zero comprehension of modern computing and file storage using laptops and electronic file submission to insurance companies.

My mental image of my situation is I have talked with my agent over phone and via email about an application and he has it on a hard disk in his computer.

Is what you are telling me is the actual (unsigned, not final) application file is on Athene's computer with some type of reference number, along with my name and ssn, to allow the file to be found and opened?

And with the proper paperwork legal formalities, That file (if not deleted by the originating agent) might be able to be accessed by another licensed, Athene contracted, insurance agent?

Is what you are telling me is the actual (unsigned, not final) application file is on Athene's computer with some type of reference number, along with my name and ssn, to allow the file to be found and opened?

And with the proper paperwork legal formalities, That file (if not deleted by the originating agent) might be able to be accessed by another licensed, Athene contracted, insurance agent?

Essentially yes. Any application # or pending policy # is generated by the insurance carrier, not by his own office or any other metric.

I'm only saying that it *may* be possible to continue it with someone else, if needed.

However, I don't know of that being really possible. But most agents want to get the business done and on the books quickly.

"I know that once an app is signed, your level of obligation rises significantly, but with an unsigned app, wouldn't the agent be free to halt communication regardless of method?"
You would think so but that would not stop someone from sending in a complaint justified or not.
No, it doesn't, I had someone call in a complaint, that wasn't a client many years ago. He claimed that I called him a name. I was shaking in my boots when I got a call from the DOI, and would have been in deep s-word, but fortunately the complainant made an error. DOI told me that the license is 24/7 and not too forget it.

So when I was compliance, I reviewed complaints.
The majority of complaints come from people not reading their contracts and unfortunately clients being prompted by other agents who want to replace the business.

Back