Cobra & Medicare

I looked on page 22. It states that if you have original Medicare and Cobra that pays after Medicare pays then you have the 63 day period to sign up on a guaranteed issue basis. In his case, Cobra is primary because he doesn't have Part B, they would pay first.

I am pointing out that the Med supp doesn't have the deductibles and copays that his current plan has. I'd prefer that he went with the Med supp over Cobra but ultimatly it's up to the client. I just want to make sure that he has an open enrollment period when he goes on Part B.

He doesn't have an open enrollment at that time. There is only one open enrollment and he would have missed it.

He does have to sign up for part B, {if he wants it}, during the 8 month period after his employment ends regardless of whether he takes COBRA or not. See page 24 of the Medicare and You booklet.

Once he signs up for part B, he would fall under number 2 on page 22 of the Choosing a Medigap Policy booklet. It is not another open enrollment, it's a GI period as long as he meets the criteria. State law also has an impact on that situation. He may have more rights than is spelled out in the booklet.

Latest posts

Back