Colonial Life???

We all do this when examining companies but you just have to sit down and decide do you wanna start a business where I am selling to the 5 employees at "Joe's Muffler Shop". Do I, wanna start a career with a company who has a slogan by the name of New York Life "The Company you keep".

Five years from now if you go with Colonial/Alfac you would probaly be at best Regional/District manager nothing wrong with that. Five years from at NYL you would have recieved in my opinion some of the best hands down trainning in the business and you would have the oppourtunity to become a partner.

You must decide do I wanna make a living selling cancer, disability and small life policies or do I wanna make a living selling LTC, Life Insurance, Annuities, Securities. etc..

Personally, I think NYL wins hands down but YOU must make that decision.

I would almost consider Col,Aflac, to be the "Blue collar" of the Insurance business and NYL, NWM, Mass Mutual, etc.. to be the "White Collar" of this business.

So, make a decision and dive in, and in six months if you are not happy or things are not working out then you always change. I personally had a Col manager tell me that if you make 50K in your first year with Colonail you have some something "amazing". I know people that made 2 and 3 times that with companies similiar to NYL in their first year. I am not saying you will or will not make that.

Best of luck. :radar:

I'm thinking colinial works as agents go pretty much door to door to companies, do people actually sign up for these programs with them?? seemd like a tough sell

I havent started going door to door yet, working off of friends businesses and their referrals...I like it, for just starting out, my district manager is bending over backwards to help me, It's nice to have help being the new guy..

I know Northwestern is captive yes. They offer great trainning as well, at this time and point I think you just need someone who will teach how to succeed in this wonderful business, captive nor not.

Look for an agency in your area that does life and health, that will help with leads and show you the ropes.

Northwestern if captive. MassMutual is semi-captive, sort of. They allow brokerage of life and have a brokerage you can use (used to by Bisys). Pru is a bit like Mass, they also have a P&C section some agents work in addition to life.

Niether Mass nor Pru have health insurance production captive, so you can write that on your own. NML has an in-house group called SEBS that does it for you (and TO you) and you end up not being the writing agent and losing anywhere from 50-65% of the gross commission.

Of the three, Mass is best choice since they allow brokerage and also have a broker contract if you leave the captive side.

This has to be the worst compant to deal with. Mr Flemming from Destin florida office came to our office to set this up I told him over 3 times I had a biopsy comming up in June and that my PSA level was a little high He lied to me and said I would still be covered be cause I was not dianosed with cancer yet. He had me sign up and now Colonial life is refusing to pay the claim I have been fighting with them for over 7 months now and Mr Flemming keeps lying to the insurance commesioner to cover his butt. They will do anything to get you to sign up but will then fight you're claim This was straight out fruad and Im still fighting them. The only good part is that I am a Manager and can talk my employees into dropping them and new ones not to sign up with them.

Back