Colorado Springs veteran sues USAA for denying husband’s $1 million life insurance policy

How do Insurance Companies get medical records after they are thrown out? Usually doctors keep the records 7 years. Is this why they pay out after the 2 years?

How do Insurance Companies get medical records after they are thrown out? Usually doctors keep the records 7 years. Is this why they pay out after the 2 years?

You sound like someone new to the industry. 2 year rule is historical, it is before the world of internet and faxes. People did not trust insurance companies and insurance would find small details to deny claims, so the 2 year rule was put in place. The insurance companyies don't not simply rely on APS, they have their methods. They will check your prescription drug history online, APS is time consuming unless they are electronically available. They could in theory, also check your social media history. If you post online if the CPAP machine is cheaper in Mexico and even if your APS shows no sleep apnea, they will still investigate and probably deny the claim. or you say you never do parachute jumping but on facebook there are tons of pictures of you jumping.

is where a contract is signed the governing law? For example if the insurance company is in NJ but the insured is in NY. the governing law in NY?

is where a contract is signed the governing law? For example if the insurance company is in NJ but the insured is in NY. the governing law in NY?

Yes, typically the contract state's law is the law used. So if the owner lives in and signed in NY, then NY law is used.

I say typically, because if the owner moves, then it can get interesting. Also some companies seem to use the insured's state of residence as the contract state, which I really don't get how they justify this.

MY question has to do with NY. IF after the 2 year incontestability period fraud is discovered regarding health will the Death Benefit be payed out?

MY question has to do with NY. IF after the 2 year incontestability period fraud is discovered regarding health will the Death Benefit be payed out?

Isn't this a question on the insurance state exam? I know in MI contestability was a good portion of the life contractions section.

I only bring this up because some states will wave incontestability in cases of blatant fraud, but not in cases of misrepresentation or innocent misstatements

Last edited:
I feel like I'm reading a case on Matlock.
It is an old television program starring Andy Griffith.

Very interesting and informative.
Everyone that has contributed, good job!!!

Shooter

I feel like I'm reading a case on Matlock.
It is an old television program starring Andy Griffith.

Very interesting and informative.
Everyone that has contributed, good job!!!

Shooter
Did you just have to post this? Just the fact you feel it necessary to explain what Matlock was really makes me feel old!:eek:

Back