Commercial Question - GL Vs Property Damage Vs Professional

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
House cleaning risk...what coverage's apply in these scenarios

1.) Somebody trips over their equipment while cleaning?

2.) They spill bleach on carpets?

3.) They're dragging a vacuum across a floor & scratch hardwood?

4.) They accidentally knock over TV while cleaning?

Are the coverage's that apply automatically included in BOP's?

Yes,

1. GL BI
2. GL Property Damage only if accidental and not their product way of cleaning.
3. Property Damage only if accidental and not in the normal process if vacuuming.
4. Property Damage.

Property damage will usually have a deductible.

They also need a fidelity bond.

Yes,

1. GL BI
3. Property Damage only if accidental and not in the normal process if vacuuming.
4. Property Damage.

Is "property damage" automatically picked up by standard GL...or is that an addition to a commercial policy?

Add voluntary property damage. If they're cleaning the tv and break it and it's part of their job or if they scratch the hardwoods while cleaning and it's part of their job then GL will not pick this up.

Voluntary Property Damage will.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Insurance Forums

Yes,

1. GL BI
4. Property Damage.

Just to clarify #2 & #3 for the OP. Claims of this nature typically have the insurer immediately running to this "get out of jail free" exclusion:

This insurance does not apply to “Property damage” to “your work” arising out of it or any part of it and included in the “products-completed operations
hazard.”

The original intent of this exclusion has been debated ad nauseum in the courts and has been the subject of countless suits.

For the janitorial contractor, it essentially renders their CGL policy useless for most common types of claims including those examples cited above.

Personally, I like USLI's janitorial form because the agent can add a really cool endorsement that essentially provides coverage where the aforementioned exclusion is non-responsive. I think they call it a property damage extension whereby for a nominal premium, they can add 10k or 20k of PD that is normally excluded.

Back