Company wants to hire me and I have a indecent exposure charge

Leger429

Hello all! I'm new here and will make this as short and to the point as possible. A company reached out to me me wanting to hire me for their Medicare insurance. They are willing to pay for my online course as well as my Health and Life exam. I'm very excited to take this on but I have a indecent exposure (registered sex offender) and harassment charge from ten years ago. May of this year I'll be able to petition having to register so I won't be on the registry after that. Upon the interview they asked me if I had any felonies, theft and fraud charges and I said no and didn't mention the misdemeanors. Now I'm regretting it after further research on obtaining my license. I'm most likely going to call the company hiring me tomorrow morning to disclose.

Will my history wipe out my chances of getting my license or is it more of a case by case decision by the commissioner? I've thought of attaching a letter that explain myself and my situation to the application.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I'm most likely going to call the company hiring me tomorrow morning to disclose.

Might as well. If they find out by themselves you'll probably get fired.

Will my history wipe out my chances of getting my license or is it more of a case by case decision by the commissioner?

Dunno. All you can do is apply for a license and see how it goes. According to the Colorado license candidate guide you must be "trustworthy, competent, financially responsible, and of good personal and business reputation."

I've thought of attaching a letter that explain myself and my situation to the application.

That's a good idea.

Hello all! I'm new here and will make this as short and to the point as possible. A company reached out to me me wanting to hire me for their Medicare insurance. They are willing to pay for my online course as well as my Health and Life exam. I'm very excited to take this on but I have a indecent exposure (registered sex offender) and harassment charge from ten years ago. May of this year I'll be able to petition having to register so I won't be on the registry after that. Upon the interview they asked me if I had any felonies, theft and fraud charges and I said no and didn't mention the misdemeanors. Now I'm regretting it after further research on obtaining my license. I'm most likely going to call the company hiring me tomorrow morning to disclose.

Will my history wipe out my chances of getting my license or is it more of a case by case decision by the commissioner? I've thought of attaching a letter that explain myself and my situation to the application.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I don’t know what you’ve done since your initial post, but they didn’t ask you because misdemeanor offenses don’t necessarily disqualify you from the state insurance department granting you a license. In fact, your concern is irrelevant if you’re denied the license. No one could hire you, even if it were an immediate family member.
I don’t know how old you were when you committed the offense, but we all have a past we’re not proud of. If it were me, I’d accept the offer and sit for the exam. Meanwhile, I’d try and get that conviction expunged. In addition, I would contact my state insurance department and ask them what steps I could pursue to qualify for a license, under current circumstances. If the state insurance dept. is willing to okay you, your past is nobody else’s business, particularly not a potential employer’s.

I’m open to being corrected. Where am I wrong?
It's a subjective answer @titeye but his answer sums up mine perfectly...

A well thought out explanation and plan before the hire and I'll listen as an employer... ill give chances where others may not... but pull some garbage like letting me find out on my own, or find out you are unlicenceable or that any possible snag may arise and I'd fire you on the spot. It's the same courtesy you would give when saying you'll need a day or two off in July for your brother's wedding during the hiring process... of course it's no big deal, but you dont want to be viewed as deceitful, or irreverent to the charge or the reputation of the company. You dont want to be known as the company that sends sex offenders to your house without having the knowledge beforehand. In other words being honest is ALWAYS the best answer. For the record I've personally hired and fired hundreds of people and read thousands of resumes. Some of the best ones were blemished, but honest.

Exactly... and if it's the right fit... maybe there is a phone position or workaround... but not disclose and put egg on the face of the employer feeding you... next.
rousemark said:
Depends on if you are willing to take the risk of sending a registered sex offender into people's homes.

Both you and Rouse are making my point. I’m thinking, if the guy paid his debt to society and is reformed, perhaps he deserves a second chance. Yet, how many of us will give him that chance if he walks in our offices publicizing his past criminal offenses. That’s why we conduct background checks. What’s the upside of volunteering information that’s not in his background report? Who does that?Anyway, you wouldn’t hire him, if he did.
If it were expunged from his record, it becomes sealed. We would never know anyway. Then, we’d have nothing to prejudge what he may or may not do in the future.
Let’s be clear, I don’t necessarily want to be living next door to a reformed sex offender, pedophile, ex-con of any sort, racist, or anything else like that; but, that doesn’t mean they haven’t completely turned their lives around.

rousemark said:
Depends on if you are willing to take the risk of sending a registered sex offender into people's homes.

Both you and Rouse are making my point. I’m thinking, if the guy paid his debt to society and is reformed, perhaps he deserves a second chance. Yet, how many of us will give him that chance if he walks in our offices publicizing his past criminal offenses. That’s why we conduct background checks. What’s the upside of volunteering information that’s not in his background report? Who does that?Anyway, you wouldn’t hire him, if he did.
If it were expunged from his record, it becomes sealed. We would never know anyway. Then, we’d have nothing to prejudge what he may or may not do in the future.
Let’s be clear, I don’t necessarily want to be living next door to a reformed sex offender, pedophile, ex-con of any sort, racist, or anything else like that; but, that doesn’t mean they haven’t completely turned their lives around.

I don't agree. I tell agents when they contract with me that anything that needs to be brought up like that and is disclosed and an explaination letter submitted with contracting is going to be looked at much more favorably than if it is never disclosed and only discovered through the background check. Anyone can make mistakes. I feel that people who disclose things up front are a better risk than ones who do not.

Back