Completely New to Health Insurance, Immediate Spine Treatment Needed.

mithcol

Hi guys, my name is Leo I am 24 years old. For the past 9 years I have sufferd from backpain. Here is my diagnosis from a cat scan in January 2012

Description of research: Physiologic lumbar lordosis slightly straightened. Vertebral channel not narrowed. Visualized 5 lumber vertebra, their form and configurations not changed. Body contours of vertebra pointed. Changes of MR- signal of bone marrow not determined.
Spinal joints not changed, joint surfaces have congruent contours. Intervertebral discs L5-S1 decreased in height, hypohydrated. On the level of L4-L5 dorsal protrusion of the disc without of compression of Dural bag. On the level of L5-S1 left sided paramedian herniation of the disc up to 4mm into vertebral channel, with deformation of Dural bag and possible affected left of S1. Bone marrow seen up to body of L1 vertebra, have normal configuration, width, and homogenous structure.
Conclusion: Herniation of disc L5-S1. Osteochondrosis of lumbar-sacral part of spinal cord. Protrusion of L4-L5.

In this time I have been mostly traveling and living in different countries so treatment was hard to come by and this is the only diagnosis I have thats most recent (1 year ago). Now I am back in the US and my condition is getting steadily worse, I cannot sit or stand long anymore and I cannot just ignore the pain anymore. I know I need treatment soon. I am here because every time I try to research health insurance plans I cannot sit long enough on the computer to do all the research it takes to pick a health insurance plan that would fit me. I need advice on which insurance would fit me best, possibly cover the cost of therapy and surgery that I may need. I live in Seattle, WA and can afford up to $100 a month for this but I will pay more if its necessary. I am completely new to all this so if there is anything else I need to provide please let me know and I will answer asap.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Leo

Sorry to hear about the back pain Leo. Rules can be different from state to state so hopefully someone from Washington will chime in. For most states, you would be declined due to the pre-existing condition. But there may be different rules in Washington. You have to realize you are asking for someone (insurance carrier) to pay thousands of dollars in claims all for the low low price of $100 per month. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

One option you may have is http://www.pcip.gov. Once you are without coverage for six months and have been declined coverage by a carrier you are eligible to get coverage through this program. However, it's not going to be within your $100 budget. I realize this likely isn't what you want to hear, but that is the system we have.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about the back pain Leo. Rules can be different from state to state so hopefully someone from Washington will chime in. For most states, you would be declined due to the pre-existing condition. But there may be different rules in Washington. You have to realize you are asking for someone (insurance carrier) to pay thousands of dollars in claims all for the low low price of $100 per month. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

One option you may have is http://www.pcip.gov. Once you are without coverage for six months and have been declined coverage by a carrier you are eligible to get coverage through this program. However, it's not going to be within your $100 budget. I realize this likely isn't what you want to hear, but that is the system we have.

Best of luck.

What this yahoo said... He's on it like a possum eating watermelon

The state of Washington has very different rules when it comes to health insurance and it would be best to speak with a health insurance agent in your state. It appears this forum does not have a health agent in Washington State so I suggest you call Premera Blue Cross and/or Regence Blue Shield directly and ask either for their direct sales unit or a referral to a contracted agent in your area.

You can get contact information for each carrier via the BCBS Association web site at:

http://www.bcbs.com/about-the-companies/

Back