New to Insurance - Any Advice?

The advice I would give to someone getting a P and C license over 50 is

• C. Open your own agency with a carrier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D. Other - please add your advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Poppy Hill

I am currently servicing home and auto, as well as doing sales for an agency in Michigan. I am getting my license, and I wonder what is my best course of action. I'm over 50 and starting a 2nd career, if this makes a difference. thank you!

Start selling slowly, as if you don't depend on the sale. You are having a conversation with your clients about changes to their hones ( new car, addition to home, newly purchased items or gifts they received, PUP policy, discount for monolingual customers. You will start to feel very comfortable and then ask for referrals as you get comfortable with the process.
Any new jewelry items, cameras, expensive items received for the holidays? Let's get them on the policy

Thanks for the advice. I really would like to know the best place to grow my business. I am working for AAA Agent, so it's all I know! Any advice in that area?

This is a gradual proc
I am currently servicing home and auto, as well as doing sales for an agency in Michigan. I am getting my license, and I wonder what is my best course of action. I'm over 50 and starting a 2nd career, if this makes a difference. thank you!

@Poppy Hill The following I do not mention to discourage you but there are really only two ways that I've seen agents be successful:
1. Look at insurance sales as an additional income and not as a single source of income - don't give up your day job, as they say. And, you can work as a producer with an agency to learn the ropes, etc. - hopefully, with a good agent who can train you properly - until your ready for option 2.
2. Buy a book of business that is already generating, at least, $10,000 a month and note that most of that money is going towards paying the loan and generating leads. If you're willing to take the risk, this can be lucrative.

Some do well with soliciting everyone they know and getting referrals from them but this will almost inevitably leave you with dry spells of those who's policies are not up for renewal and don't want to take care of it at the time or those who just aren't interested. You can't be too offended as most people simply do not have the time to meet with an agent or do not want to "be sold."
There are some expensive leads that you can buy that have been scrubbed and might even be ready to buy but keep in mind that you are not the only one purchasing these, no matter how expensive. Live (phone) transfer leads can be good but most of them are frustrated by the time they are transferred to you so be aware of that.

There is one service/website that is in the process of launching where you can qualify a lead and where that lead chooses your quote, from other agents' quotes, before you even pay for that lead/client. If you aren't chosen by that lead, you don't pay. www.InsurEasier.com/agent-home is where agents can register to help the majority of the population, who want to take care of their insurance shopping and buying online, without being redirected or bombarded by phone calls but still get sound advice from agents.

@Poppy Hill The following I do not mention to discourage you but there are really only two ways that I've seen agents be successful:
1. Look at insurance sales as an additional income and not as a single source of income - don't give up your day job, as they say. And, you can work as a producer with an agency to learn the ropes, etc. - hopefully, with a good agent who can train you properly - until your ready for option 2.
2. Buy a book of business that is already generating, at least, $10,000 a month and note that most of that money is going towards paying the loan and generating leads. If you're willing to take the risk, this can be lucrative.

Some do well with soliciting everyone they know and getting referrals from them but this will almost inevitably leave you with dry spells of those who's policies are not up for renewal and don't want to take care of it at the time or those who just aren't interested. You can't be too offended as most people simply do not have the time to meet with an agent or do not want to "be sold."
There are some expensive leads that you can buy that have been scrubbed and might even be ready to buy but keep in mind that you are not the only one purchasing these, no matter how expensive. Live (phone) transfer leads can be good but most of them are frustrated by the time they are transferred to you so be aware of that.

There is one service/website that is in the process of launching where you can qualify a lead and where that lead chooses your quote, from other agents' quotes, before you even pay for that lead/client. If you aren't chosen by that lead, you don't pay. www.InsurEasier.com/agent-home is where agents can register to help the majority of the population, who want to take care of their insurance shopping and buying online, without being redirected or bombarded by phone calls but still get sound advice from agents.
Funny, I did neither of those, and was successful. Every successful agent I know did more or less the same thing I did, and was successful. I've never seen an agent do either of those things you mentioned and make it.

I quite my day job, went all in, and after a few years of hardcore struggle made it to the land of milk and honey.

Funny, I did neither of those, and was successful. Every successful agent I know did more or less the same thing I did, and was successful. I've never seen an agent do either of those things you mentioned and make it.

I quite my day job, went all in, and after a few years of hardcore struggle made it to the land of milk and honey.
That's great! That is just what I've witnessed. Did you read the rest of what I wrote..?

@Poppy Hill I should also mention that there are many haters on this site.
In no way do I mean to discourage you or tell you how you should go about becoming an agent...
Oh, and I should mention that the options I mentioned are for the more recent agents that I've seen succeed. In the old days of insurance sales, the two options I mentioned were not the norm.
It's all about to change again anyway...

Last edited:
Back