Confused Again with Exchanges

thanks yagents.

We seemed to have hijacked the original question "if the big guys do not go into the exchanges, they still have to comply with all of the provisions of ACA, right?"

Coming back to topic ...

As I understand, a lot of provisions only impact if a company offers a plan through exchange. e.g. 90 day rule that Tim mentioned. It does not impact non exchange plans.

thanks yagents.

We seemed to have hijacked the original question "if the big guys do not go into the exchanges, they still have to comply with all of the provisions of ACA, right?"

Coming back to topic ...

As I understand, a lot of provisions only impact if a company offers a plan through exchange. e.g. 90 day rule that Tim mentioned. It does not impact non exchange plans.

correct, on or off must meet the standards of the aca.... gi, ehb and the like

We can all sleep tonight, 5 big names (or maybe just 1) are going to be on the New Mexico exchange. Ehealth sells the first 3 now.

----------------
About five companies have filed to sell insurance on New Mexico’s Health Insurance Exchange, state Insurance Superintendent John Franchini said Friday.
While Franchini didn’t have the names of the insurers, spokespeople from Lovelace Health Plan, Presbyterian Health Plan, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico, New Mexico Health Connections and Molina Healthcare of New Mexico confirmed that their companies had filed with the New Mexico Division of Insurance to sell on the exchange.

Lovelace, Presbyterian, Blue Cross, New Mexico Health Connections file to sell plans on NM Health Insurance Exchange - Albuquerque Business First

Interestingly, I went to the Lovelace website, selected individual plan and did a provider search for the state of New Mexico. It lists 1000 providers, however most of them are repeated, one was listed 18 times and I only skimmed through the first 400 or so names. This, of course is because the provider offers services in multiple locations. I am not going to take the time to count each individual name, but isn't that network kind of small for an entire state?

One of the New Mexico companies is Molina Healthcare. Here's what they have to say about themselves...

"Currently, Molina Healthcare arranges for the delivery of healthcare services or offers health information management solutions for nearly 4.3 million individuals and families who receive their care through Medicaid, Medicare and other government funded programs in 15 states."

Source: About Molina | Molina Healthcare

If a New Mexico consumer's income is low enough, they'll probably see Molina at the top of the list of available carriers after applying on the exchange? I suspect that every state will have at least one or two Medicaid companies included in the handful of Exchange insurers.
-ac

So BCBS is going to be in all states. I wonder if it's a play to get ahead of the game in the race to administer a single-payer solution?

And you wondered why they don't want to play in the exchange?
-----------------------------
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said the Affordable Care Act and rising healthcare costs could cause rates to go "through the roof." He added that the law will help curb cost growth in healthcare, and that insurance commissioners will play a serious role in protecting consumers from rate hikes. "Our insurance department is empowered to protect families, and we're going to watch them like a hawk to make sure they do," Schumer said, according to WHEC-TV in Rochester, N.Y.

Back