Contracting Direct while at IMO?

Jay Dozier

I have been in the contracting phase with an IMO for the past few weeks (Individual Health Ins). Most of the contracting invites came in the first week and about half of the appointments (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology) have come back already. The others, when I go into their respective portals show in process.

However one of the big carriers has yet to send me an invite from the IMO. I have contacted the IMO a few times over the past couple of weeks and they keep saying "give it three or four more days..."

Because I'm an impatient person I went to that carriers website on my own and requested an independent agent contract and it came back within a couple of HOURS!

What would happen if I filled out the one from the carrier instead of waiting for one from the IMO? Would there be a way to add the IMO after getting contracted?

And I guess on the heals of that question I am curious how IMO's know who you are contracted with in general? Is there a report they get?

I am not wanting to do anything shady. I have no problem with the IMO being the upline. I'm just mostly curious about options and what is appropriate and not appropriate. TIA.

They would see in their reports that your name is not there. They may or they may not catch it. But if you are being trained by them, or on their lead programs, they would certainly expect you to bring it to their attention.

Thanks for the reply.

...But if you are being trained by them, or on their lead programs, they would certainly expect you to bring it to their attention.

Yeah, of course. I'm not trying to hide anything. Was mostly wondering if it's possible (relatively easy?) to add them after the fact? Not trying to make too many waves, just want to get the process moving forward.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, of course. I'm not trying to hide anything. Was mostly wondering if it's possible (relatively easy?) to add them after the fact? Not trying to make too many waves, just want to get the process moving forward.
Changing it after the fact will likely involve starting all over. Best to get it right the first time. I would call the upline sales manager you are contracting with and tell him what you have told us here. The contracting people are paid hourly. The sales manager feels it if it's not done correctly though.

It depends on the carrier. Most carriers will let you transfer an appointment to an upline as long as it's not during their blackout period. Transferring from being direct is much easier than transferring from another upline.

I have not seen an instance where you would have to start over again.

Back