Critical Illness

I have yet to find or even hear of any independently sold accident plan that doesn't put people through the ringer when they file a claim. It's always "missing" information which goes on and on and on. I was signed up - as was Jesse - a few years back for the NAIB's accident plan. That was until everyone got a cease and desist email. Lol. There are indeed a few floating around out there that appear to be legit. Not enough savings over Suite Solutions to make it worth while for me to offer it.

I usually don't offer add-on benefits. Most of my clients buy HDHP/HSA and don't need to clutter their life with additional premiums. If they don't buy the HDHP, they go with something like Plan 100 from GR, again without the frills.

If you have a solid major med, you don't need the other stuff.

Don't know. My son just came from the ER after hitting his head. Glad I only owed $100.

$40 a month for a $5,000 benefit is 10 years of benefit before you've paid $5,000 in added premiums. I think that's a fair bet.

Many of my client's have maxed it out - full $5,000 benefit. I offer everyone and let my client's decide. I don't fail to offer it - then you're deciding for your client which is unfair. In the case of GR it's neither here or there - their accident protection is a joke.

I offer, then talk them out of it most of the time.

The accident benefit is fine, but the rest of the stuff will probably never pay off.

Granted. I think Select Solutions is over-priced and I don't like the way the critical illness policy is written. I only write Secure and tell clients don't count on the disability.

Granted. I think Select Solutions is over-priced and I don't like the way the critical illness policy is written. I only write Secure and tell clients don't count on the disability.

I have the entire CI policy for Select Solutions.

If that is the case what made you pick Select versus Secure?

Bob,
I'm with Petrowski on this. It does what it says it will. I've had a $1350 accident claim for myself reimbursed in 2005. Its paid every legit accident claim for all my Assurant policyholders. It paid a $4100 surgery claim for a broken thumb that needed a complex surgical repair (less the $100 deductible) in 2006 on a family HSA plan with a $5400 deductible. Needless to say that customer was pleased.

In my market, there are alot of family HSA plans that cover an extensive array of upfront preventative care. The Secure Solutions helps compete with those products because the customer likes to know they're getting some form of upfront coverage even on a HDHP. That's the main perk for the Assurant One Deductible when I'm comparing HSA compatible plans for customers.

My bust - Secure not Select. Again, I have the entire CI policy for Assurant's Select Solutions - hate how it's written. Can't see any time when a CI claim would be paid.

Agreed. Better to put that extra money towards a nice disability policy.

Back