Disconnect from internet.

But seriously, this issue is so various and it depends on where you see the threat toward your side.

The most important issue to keep in mind is information security awareness.
Most of cyber attacks start with a simple phishing email.

On the technical side: patch, patch, patch !!!

Have a different (and complex) password for every site you use, use something like LastPass to manage the different passwords. Most people use the same password for Yahoo mail (hacked) as they do for this forum, their email, etc.

Don't forget to protect your cell phones...especially on Wi-Fi networks. Many of the things we do for our insurance businesses take place over phones and tablets. These need to be secure as well.

Password managers are great.... until someone finds a backdoor or exploit within the software. You cant hack a human mind... yet :eek: Im not saying not to use them, just that nothing is completely secure.

An alternative to a password manager is to create a "base" password. Then add a prefix or postfix based on the site (or software) name/subject matter/etc.

So if your base pw was "Awesome1!" , then the Insurance-Forums pw could be "Awesome1!InsuranceForum" or "InsuranceForumAwesome1!" or "Awesome1!IF", etc.

Another good rule is to make sure to capitalize every distinct word. Not only does it make it more secure, but it takes the guess work out of it when you aren't sure.

----------

Public networks are where many "hacks" take place for individuals. Imo, having your own hotspot and secure network is a must if you are doing business and dealing with personal financial info.

Make sure all sites your using have "https", especially if your passing sensitive info through that site.

For public networks, you can use a VPN plugin on your browser and it will make sure everything going through your browser is encrypted even if its not https.

Make sure your email server uses https!!!

Pay attention to the file type on attachments. Watch out for .exe files unless you are expecting it to be a software download.

Dont click links on strange emails. Pay attention to the senders email address and its spelling.

Dont send money or bank info to a Nigerian Prince who needs $5k to get his $20mm trust fund out of escrow. That jerk is lying to you. :spinny:

Good said @scagnt83. I am thinking about to buy a VPN in this Black Friday and little bit searching nowadays because it protects us from cyber hacks and online threats. Finally, I found a blog on Google where 75 VPN provider are mentioned offering a huge discount to the internet users. But the problem is I have not enough idea about VPN. Can you guys suggest me a best and reliable VPN in this list:

The easiest way to protect yourself against malware and viruses on your computer is to stop using Windows OS.

Instead of using Windows OS download the latest Linux version and install it. It's free, and it's open source. If a program is open source anyone can read the coding and immediately alert the world about the hidden virus. Or a back channel to Google. Or NSA. Windows OS is full of security holes which is the reason your Window OS system gets malware and viruses.

Linux is virtually immune to malware and viruses. I don't believe there are even anti-virus software for the Linux operating system. I personally believe the reason there are so many viruses on Windows OS (besides the security holes in Windows) is because the companies that sell anti-virus software are the ones who write the viruses that infect the Windows OS. Ever notice how fast, often within 1 day, the anti-virus companies have an instant solution to the viruses that sweep the world every so often?

Sort of like the FDA and AMA coming out with a vaccine within 2 days after some new found virus is found, Or, released. If they can do that how can they claim it takes years and billions of dollars to discover a cure for cancer and other chronic illnesses?

If that makes me a conspiracy theorist, so be it.

Ooops..sorry...got off track a little bit!

Moving forward....I changed from WIndows OS to Linux (ubuntu 14.01 - latest is ubuntu 16 I think) five years ago and have NEVER had a malware or virus on my computer since. And, I'm online 10-12 hours a day. I have no anti-virus software on the computer.

For the technical minded there is a reason Linux boxes do not get viruses. I never cared, nor do care, so I haven't read the technical reasons why.

Have a great day!
tinman

Back