DEADBEAT 'Dad' and paying his Life Insurance Policy ?

5. The cause of death was excluded by the policy​

Life insurance policies typically have a two-year exclusionary period for suicide, so your beneficiary typically would receive whatever you paid in premiums, but not the policy's face value. So-called "suicide clauses" vary by insurer and are designed to discourage people from buying life insurance when contemplating suicide.

Another caveat: If you're killed while committing a crime, the claim might be denied.

And last, if you don't disclose to your insurer when you apply for a policy that you have a high-risk hobby, such as sky-diving or auto racing, and you die while doing it, your insurer may decline the claim.

I have never seen a life policy in TN with an exclusion exclusion for death during the comission of a crime. Can't speak to other states.

The insured (the deadbeat dad) will have to participate in the application process by answering the health questions and signing the app.

If he won't do that, there is no way to legally buy a policy on him.
COURTS ?

IF he's brought to court through a Paternity Suit, can the courts force him to take a blood test ? (In FLA)

5. The cause of death was excluded by the policy​

Life insurance policies typically have a two-year exclusionary period for suicide, so your beneficiary typically would receive whatever you paid in premiums, but not the policy's face value. So-called "suicide clauses" vary by insurer and are designed to discourage people from buying life insurance when contemplating suicide.

Another caveat: If you're killed while committing a crime, the claim might be denied.

And last, if you don't disclose to your insurer when you apply for a policy that you have a high-risk hobby, such as sky-diving or auto racing, and you die while doing it, your insurer may decline the claim.

I had been told long ago life policies never pay on suicide, So I just want to clarify, the truth is they only don't pay during the contestable period but after suicide is payable?

Just want to be sure I understand correctly moving forward

I had been told long ago life policies never pay on suicide, So I just want to clarify, the truth is they only don't pay during the contestable period but after suicide is payable?

Suicide is two years. After the two years are up you can Epstein yourself all you want.

The only real exceptions would be a company that post underwrites everything (think FE) and even those wind up paying.

Suicide is two years. After the two years are up you can Epstein yourself all you want.

The only real exceptions would be a company that post underwrites everything (think FE) and even those wind up paying.

Wow that is crazy,

But ill accept it,

I am sure some have taken advantage of this but they have worse problems now

COURTS ?

IF he's brought to court through a Paternity Suit, can the courts force him to take a blood test ? (In FLA)

Fluids? I am not positive. However, I believe so. I have written court ordered life from a divorce and for child support.

There are non medical policies up to a $million.

She may want to consider a policy w/ child rider on the daughter. If she may wind-up raising the grandchildren.

Last edited:

That is correct that suicide during the contestability period (typically two years) won't pay out. (Which is an important disclosure point for any policy replacements.)

Back