Debit and Direct Express

The Derby is the only triple crown I've never been to but it's on the bucket list. (and I've done the Breeders several times in addition to the Travers)

One of my last longstanding "boys' trips" has been Saratoga forever prior to COVID. I grew up in upstate NY and you are going to love that track. It's one of the oldest in the country and whether you're in the picnic grounds or the grandstand, it's beautiful and so perfect to watch a race.

We're going to watch the Preakness in Vegas this year instead of live horseracing but hope to be back to Saratoga soon.

Have a blast!

Are you going for Travers?

No, just going because we have never been. We went to Ruidoso Downs in 2017 for the All American Quarter Horse Race. There's just certain tracks we want to see. Saratoga is rumored to be the prettiest race track in the country. It's our 25th anniversary and my wife wants to go to NYC. I want to go to Saratoga so we are doing both. A couple days in Saratoga then on to NYC.

I also want to go to Santa Anita Park one day. And Del Mar. I always wanted to go to Arlington Park but now it's gone.

No, just going because we have never been. We went to Ruidoso Downs in 2017 for the All American Quarter Horse Race. There's just certain tracks we want to see. Saratoga is rumored to be the prettiest race track in the country. It's our 25th anniversary and my wife wants to go to NYC. I want to go to Saratoga so we are doing both. A couple days in Saratoga then on to NYC.

I also want to go to Santa Anita Park one day. And Del Mar. I always wanted to go to Arlington Park but now it's gone.
You are going to have a blast and happy anniversary. We are coming up on 20 this year and if my wife wanted to go to a track, I would be beyond thrilled.

Saratoga is absolutely beautiful and the town itself is a lot of fun too. At the track, hit up the paddock bar (which is fairly new, maybe 10ish years, and I was interviewed on the local news when it opened drinking a bloody at about 10am lol), get a shake shack burger, and then settle in. Hit Siro's after the races (or before...it will be busy most of the day) before going to dinner.

I have done both Santa Anita and Del Mar. Del Mar may be the most gorgeous track you'll see but I expect you to be a little disappointed because your home track is comparable to all of them (including Saratoga).

You are going to have a blast and happy anniversary. We are coming up on 20 this year and if my wife wanted to go to a track, I would be beyond thrilled.

Saratoga is absolutely beautiful and the town itself is a lot of fun too. At the track, hit up the paddock bar (which is fairly new, maybe 10ish years, and I was interviewed on the local news when it opened drinking a bloody at about 10am lol), get a shake shack burger, and then settle in. Hit Siro's after the races (or before...it will be busy most of the day) before going to dinner.

I have done both Santa Anita and Del Mar. Del Mar may be the most gorgeous track you'll see but I expect you to be a little disappointed because your home track is comparable to all of them (including Saratoga).

Well, my home track is Ellis Park. Only about 35 miles from Ellis. It's a nice little track and convenient. But beautiful is often heard as a description of it. :1wink:

I don't know what you are doing so I don't know what would be different. I can't contact them all but as I said, "I make every effort". It's very rare that I cannot contact them. I don't call unless it's a routine lapse or something. If I believe there's another agent involved I will always see that person in person if I can. I don't remember having a problem with people not wanting to see me. In fact, most of these issues are easily fixed by contacting them.

It's not one thing. It's the whole process. I deliver policies. I send a thank card to every buyer with the salutation, "Call anytime, "

Most of my clients call me when they move, change beneficiaries, change banks, etc. And sadly, I've dealt with 3 funeral homes getting claim forms to them for clients that have passed in the last week.

Again, the helping with annual reviews. It all goes together. It's not one thing. So if you are not doing these things then that would be your answer to what I'm doing different.

I’m not doing anything differently more or less. I simply don’t have the rapport you have with your people. Nor do I put in as many hours trying to get in touch with my people.

You say things are “easily fixed” by contacting them. I don’t. More often then not,it’s about money,and that’s the problem. If I do get a hold of them,they don’t have it. So not an easy fix.

When Ben used to post here,I remember him saying “buy more leads” . Always having fresh leads is the answer. Very true. So I have a tendency to simply write more business to cover things I cannot control,i.e. lapses,NSF’s,expired DE card….etc.

Do you still deliver all of your policies? That’s awesome!
I’ve slacked off on the thank you cards,my bad. Kudos for staying crisp on that,it’s a good thing.

Sure I get calls and of course I help. Lately that’s been embarrassing. CS at Trans is a disaster. Clients think we have an inside way of getting them on the phone. Settler’s (NGL)sold their CS portal to someone in NJ and I can’t get into their website or get them on the phone. I cannot even look up policy values,paid to dates…etc.

Annual reviews most of my people do not know what that means. They would think you were talking about going to the doctor for a check up if you mentioned that. I get calls regularly when they are with the Medicaid coordinator and need my help with the CV in the policy because they have misplaced/lost it.

Good to hear that a veteran FE agent with thousands of policies on the books still has the drive,hunger to do everything you do. Most,if not all,due to human nature tend to slack up on all those little things.

I’m not doing anything differently more or less. I simply don’t have the rapport you have with your people. Nor do I put in as many hours trying to get in touch with my people.

You say things are “easily fixed” by contacting them. I don’t. More often then not,it’s about money,and that’s the problem. If I do get a hold of them,they don’t have it. So not an easy fix.

When Ben used to post here,I remember him saying “buy more leads” . Always having fresh leads is the answer. Very true. So I have a tendency to simply write more business to cover things I cannot control,i.e. lapses,NSF’s,expired DE card….etc.

Do you still deliver all of your policies? That’s awesome!
I’ve slacked off on the thank you cards,my bad. Kudos for staying crisp on that,it’s a good thing.

Sure I get calls and of course I help. Lately that’s been embarrassing. CS at Trans is a disaster. Clients think we have an inside way of getting them on the phone. Settler’s (NGL)sold their CS portal to someone in NJ and I can’t get into their website or get them on the phone. I cannot even look up policy values,paid to dates…etc.

Annual reviews most of my people do not know what that means. They would think you were talking about going to the doctor for a check up if you mentioned that. I get calls regularly when they are with the Medicaid coordinator and need my help with the CV in the policy because they have misplaced/lost it.

Good to hear that a veteran FE agent with thousands of policies on the books still has the drive,hunger to do everything you do. Most,if not all,due to human nature tend to slack up on all those little things.

I mentioned their “annual reviews” earlier. That’s their annual review for any government help. They have requalify every year. The cash value is a countable asset.

I help my clients keep current if they need help. Most do.

And as I said, I got a referral this week just because of that.

I had another situation yesterday where a lady called me because a funeral home told her I was the only agent they dealt with that always helped move the process along.

I wrote her $65/mo. Her daughter wanted s policy too so that was $40/mo. Just simply for doing what I do.

Yes, the popular teaching is just buy more leads. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I wish I had taken that route. Just write, have the companies send the policies and tell people to contact the company if they have issues.

I doubt my personality would live with that. But who knows?

To each their own. For me, dog racing has no strategy, no rider, and the animals, while impressive (I love dogs), are nothing like horses thundering at 40 miles an hour down the stretch.

But again, that's just personal preference.

Salt and Char in Saratoga has been recommended to us. Do you know about it?

I mentioned their “annual reviews” earlier. That’s their annual review for any government help. They have requalify every year. The cash value is a countable asset.

I had another situation yesterday where a lady called me because a funeral home told her I was the only agent they dealt with that always helped move the process along.

I wrote her $65/mo. Her daughter wanted s policy too so that was $40/mo. Just simply for doing what I do.

Yes, the popular teaching is just buy more leads. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I wish I had taken that route. Just write, have the companies send the policies and tell people to contact the company if they have issues.

I doubt my personality would live with that. But who knows?[/

I doubt my personality would live with that. But who knows?

We all know you are heavy on the phone for making contact,setting appointments….etc

In my area,,clientele,90% of the people don’t answer the phone. They constantly complain about telemarketers,phone scams.

How do you get people to answer the phone ? What’s your secret?

What makes you different ?

Is it luck ? Do you have a majic trick to get them to answer the phone ?

We all know you take 10 leads a week,write a large volume of AP off the leads that you call and set appointments with.

How many times do you call them before you give up ?

Isn’t it kinda crazy to have your phone number on a complete stranger’s caller ID 7 or 8 times in 2 days ?

Wonder if they think you’re a bill collector?

We all know you are heavy on the phone for making contact,setting appointments….etc

In my area,,clientele,90% of the people don’t answer the phone. They constantly complain about telemarketers,phone scams.

How do you get people to answer the phone ? What’s your secret?

What makes you different ?

Is it luck ? Do you have a majic trick to get them to answer the phone ?

We all know you take 10 leads a week,write a large volume of AP off the leads that you call and set appointments with.

How many times do you call them before you give up ?

Isn’t it kinda crazy to have your phone number on a complete stranger’s caller ID 7 or 8 times in 2 days ?

Wonder if they think you’re a bill collector?

No magic here. I don't mask my phone number. I've used the same office number for 17 years. The same cell number for 29 years.

Yes, many times people will call me back after my number a few times.

FEX agents are taught how to use the phone. We have agents in Fl calling for appointments and doing well. And in every other state too.

And I get 15 leads per week. As for giving up, I don't. If I haven't reached them by phone I DK when I'm in the area and have time. I leave a note if they aren't home and throw the lead away.

They will call then or I'll just see them the next time they mail in a card. And they will.

Back