Dental Discount Plans

Thanks for the map.
I was trying to figure out if they were in KS. My Delta Dental Cobra ends next Jan and I've been wondering what options I might have.

Any comments on the sales concept I wrote about?

I like that you spell preventive correctly :D and that preventive doesn't count to the $1,000.

I don't know the insurance terms, so this is going to be a clumsy question:
Is the Cigna like employer plans (such as my Delta Dental) where the provider agrees to take a group rate for the service? If so there is another saving you can present.

The insurance company pays less for your cleanings and xrays than you would.
(A Delta EOB shows $220 total charges for the 3 items on an annual check up. They paid the provider $167) Having insurance saved me $53 which the provider has agreed he can't/won't recover from me. The same concept kicks over into things like crowns and fillings. So if that applies in the Cigna plan too, then the actual potential savings could be somewhat larger than the $1,000.

(This concept is ENGRAVED in my mind because a few years ago after two trips to the emergency room for kidney stones, the first charges that disappeared on the EOB's were 2 $11,000 scans (CAT maybe?). I think that alone paid for my payroll deduction premium cost that year.)

----------

Get your license and sell it to yourself. The commission you make on yourself might pay for your licensing.:yes:

I'll have to keep that in mind.

I don't know the insurance terms, so this is going to be a clumsy question:
Is the Cigna like employer plans (such as my Delta Dental) where the provider agrees to take a group rate for the service? If so there is another saving you can present.

That is true. (BTW "negotiated rate" is the technical term for "group rate" but "group rate" is a better term for a sales situation.)

The insurance company pays less for your cleanings and xrays than you would.
(A Delta EOB shows $220 total charges for the 3 items on an annual check up. They paid the provider $167) Having insurance saved me $53 which the provider has agreed he can't/won't recover from me. The same concept kicks over into things like crowns and fillings. So if that applies in the Cigna plan too, then the actual potential savings could be somewhat larger than the $1,000.

On the plans in my market, you get checkups, cleanings and annual x-rays without any cost share so long as you use a network dentist. So the fact that the insurer pays less for the preventive care stuff doesn't impact the policyholder.

However, you are on point with the rest of it.

Any agents aware of a dental plan that has some value to it? Still searching for a dental plan where the benefits exceed the premiums. One plan I'm aware of has a 12 month waiting period for major services and you pay 50% of the cost. Well if the premium is $300 over a 12-month period and you pay $500 of the $1,000 cost of a set of cheap dentures, your only going to save $200. Not very good coverage. And most people that call me agree.
You pay an annual fee and get access to significantly reduced rates. And dental savings plans offer many benefits over traditional dental insurance. Things like no annual caps or limits and absolutely no paperwork.

Central United Life has a great program(not a discount plan). It has a pool of money, no network and pays on actual charges.

The problem with that plan is you have a $100.00 deductible even for preventive. So if you only used it for cleanings you come out behind. That's the way I look at it.

Latest posts

Back