Desk, Phone and Computer?

I know many here bash captives such as United Group Associates even though a great many started with them or organizations like them, but if I hadnt initially cut my teeth with a captive agency I would not be a player today in individual health insurance.

The products may not be the best in the industry and the commissions may not be the highest but they teach valuable skills like working to a plan or quota, one call sales closing, using marketing and how to work the telephone. Factors that are key whether you are captive or independent.

As long as you approach this career with integrity and grit I believe you can do well initially and use a captive environment as a springboard to future success as an independent.

The burnout rate in this field is high but that is largely because people try to run before they can walk. One must pay their dues before they make the big money, however that can be done in a matter of months not years like in corporate America.

My suggestion to anyone learning this business is simple

1) Know what you are selling
2) Know how to sell
3) Know how to market
4) Know how to manage your time and resources
5) Know how to build a clientele of raving fans

If you do that within 6 months you will have a career and an income that most people would love to have.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You can do either, but if you want to go captive you will more than likely have to pass a little computerized test that supposedly tests your personality to see if you fit some mold that they are looking for - some pretty odd questions and I personally think it is a crock. Most of the large captives use some form of test. If you make it past that hurdle, then you need to mesh with the people in the office - at least one person that can be your mentor.

All those sales tests do is guage whether you have the killer instinct that has always been the supposed prerequisite for sales. Agression, ambition, steel will and strong mindedness and they believe you fit the profile.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info, I am speaking with AMFAM at the moment. But I want to learn about other opportunities before making a decision. WHat are other opportunities? Do you think Amafam is a good choice or is there better ones out there. I have read the very large post about State Farm and sounds very depressing.

AmFam is a multiline carrier that is new to GA (based on all the advertising). Allstate, SF, AmFam . . . all of them will give you training and allow you to learn some aspects of the business.

You may find a home or eventually want to move on and become independent. Depends on your dreams and abilities.

Not sure what my goals and dreams are, Sure I want to be successful but heck not sure what my strengths and wekness are yet. I know I would like to make better then an average income if that is even possible in insurance anymore

Back