Direct Mail strategy, calls-to-action

JJ2713

Guru
I know getting a call back or a return card are the most common calls-to-action for direct mail (postcard, card-in-envelope, or letter).

Does anyone offer any other call-to-action? Like... to get a report, seminar invite, try to get them to website, etc.?

Does anyone send anything other than a letter, card-in-envelope, or postcard?

I know getting a call back or a return card are the most common calls-to-action for direct mail (postcard, card-in-envelope, or letter).

Does anyone offer any other call-to-action? Like... to get a report, seminar invite, try to get them to website, etc.?

Does anyone send anything other than a letter, card-in-envelope, or postcard?

I think a word a warning would be to be use caution on how much you ask a potential prospect to do in order to get in contact with you. First, they don't know you... Second, they don't really care to know you (your a salesman)... Third, they are trying to get information and want to do so using the least amount of time and energy (and they did just open the mail, read, write, and put it back in the mail)...

The more you ask a prospect to do, generally the higher the quality and the lower the response. And typically lower response means higher cost. The relationship is also not necessarily linear. You could ask for a lot of involvement, get only slightly better quality but at a much, much higher cost.

The more you ask a prospect to do, generally the higher the quality and the lower the response. And typically lower response means higher cost. The relationship is also not necessarily linear. You could ask for a lot of involvement, get only slightly better quality but at a much, much higher cost.

Why not just ask them to call you?

?

Why not just ask them to call you?

?

If they call you and you answer they will expect information (their questions answered) before they would give you their contact information. You will struggle to get them to give you their name address, phone, date of birth, etc unless they have fully vetted you and are ready to meet.

If they call you and just reach a recording SOME will leave a name and number. Many will hang up. Very few will leave name, address, phone, date of birth.

So either way you will reduce you mailed responses and reduce the quality of your leads.

It’s been tried many times. It works for a recognizable brand (Mutual of Omaha, XM Radio, Globe Life, etc.) but not for blind mailings by a broker. I’m sure a few guys have found ways to make it work for them. But I’ve talked to many that had terrible outcome from it.

If they call you and you answer they will expect information (their questions answered) before they would give you their contact information. ...

I see (i've never done it before selling this product).

Why not just give them the information they want, and try to proceed from there?

Why not just give them the information they want, and try to proceed from there?

I am not an insurance agent so I do not know the right answer to the question. However, it seems to me that ceding control of the sales interview to the potential prospect is not an action that will lead to success in most cases.

LD is right on this one. They don't know what to ask and are more likely to confuse themselves than anything.

Also, while I believe in a consultative sales process, I'm not a consultant. This is likely to result in a lot of free education so people can go buy elsewhere.

If they call you and you answer they will expect information (their questions answered) before they would give you their contact information. You will struggle to get them to give you their name address, phone, date of birth, etc unless they have fully vetted you and are ready to meet.

If they call you and just reach a recording SOME will leave a name and number. Many will hang up. Very few will leave name, address, phone, date of birth.

So either way you will reduce you mailed responses and reduce the quality of your leads.

It’s been tried many times. It works for a recognizable brand (Mutual of Omaha, XM Radio, Globe Life, etc.) but not for blind mailings by a broker. I’m sure a few guys have found ways to make it work for them. But I’ve talked to many that had terrible outcome from it.

I guess I should throw away all of my marketing materials designed to generate inbound calls?

Nah....

While I highly respect Newby, there are several agents in the senior market who generate inbound phone calls from prospects who are more than willing to give you their info and receive your assistance.

They normally will let you know that they are tired of the telemarketers, and they got your letter and wanted to ask if we’d be willing to help them. Let that sink in... that’s different than chasing a lead...

While he has left the forum as far as I know, WCMason is one of the first agents that I heard of who did this successfully.

He sent letters. They called him. It’s a beautiful thing, and I personally know that it can be done.

Back