Direct Vs Deception Appointment Setting

tyteeye510

Expert
In your experience, does direct vs deception works better when you are trying to set up an appointment over the phone.

Direct being something like - Hi, you fill out a card indicating that you are interested in life insurance. My name is etc, etc, etc.

Deception being something like - Hi, you fill out a card regarding supplemental insurance program, will you be available at 5 so I can show you how it works.

Use no deception....you should learn that in ethics class. I was lucky enough to have a friend in the business that went through presentations with me and I accompanied him when making calls. You may have to contract under someone, but let them know you will study and work hard if they will show you the ropes.

So you are going to do whatever works better but you consider one deception?
rolleyes.gif

Direct might get less appointments, but they'll be better quality and have a higher closing ratio. So at the end of the day, even if they're completely even, you would probably be a lot less stressed to just do it direct.

I didn't mean to use the word deception. It's not really deception just not straight forward like Hi, I am trying to sell you life insurance.

life is easier if you're straight forward. Unless you like spending time and money on "surprize it's life insurance" appointments, I would say be straight forward.

If you have a sales manager telling you to do it that way, just remember the sales manager will be saying the same thing to the guy that takes your place.

Overcoming sales managers should be part of the licensing exams or continuing ed. It's a 50-50 crap shoot you'll have a sales manager give you bad advice so you really have to think and break out of the employee mindset.

I wouldn't use deception. I've had people call me with "you filled out..card at our event" only i never fill out any kind of promotional card to win anything at any event i attend precisely because i don't want these kinds of calls;)
The message it sends is that you can't be trusted to do business with. So even if i was interested in the product i would seek another rep to purchase from precisely because the person calling was deceptive.

An appointment hurts your business if they don't buy. I would rather sift them before they waste my time. There are just too many people who think they can buy a million dollar permanent policy for 50 bucks a month.

An appointment hurts your business if they don't buy. I would rather sift them before they waste my time. There are just too many people who think they can buy a million dollar permanent policy for 50 bucks a month.

No one has introduced you to premium financing or zero premium life insurance yet?

Back