Do CA Producers Need to Be Appointed?

CaNewAgent

Expert
Do insurance producers need to be appointed to the carrier the agent is appointed to?

I thought people who only sell insurance need to be licensed not appointed?

This is for a captive carrier.

Thanks,

To represent an insurance carrier and sell their products, you must be appointed by that carrier.

Before you can be appointed, you must have a license.

You must be appointed in order to write policies for a company, however, under CA State Law you can write a policy and have up to 14 days after the policy is written, to get appointed by that particular Company.

To represent an insurance carrier and sell their products, you must be appointed by that carrier.

Before you can be appointed, you must have a license.

Okay, I thought there was a distinction between being an agent and a producer working for an agent, with an agent being licensed and appointed and a producer simply having a license.

I appreciate the information.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You must be appointed in order to write policies for a company, however, under CA State Law you can write a policy and have up to 14 days after the policy is written, to get appointed by that particular Company.

Yes, I understand that is how it works with many carriers. Bring us some business and we will appoint you.

Thank you

Last edited:
If you're talking about P&C, then there may be some distinctions that I'm not aware of.

For example: You work for an agent. You may have a license, but you are really a licensed person working for and representing the agent and the companies that he represents.

In the life/health side of the business, this is rare. However, I had a similar arrangement working with a senior advisor in a credit union. I was fully licensed and sold everything that he authorized me to sell. However, after it was all 'said and done', his signature was the one on file as it became "his client" and subsequently his liability (since his signature was there).

I'm sure that's as clear as mud now.

Do insurance producers need to be appointed to the carrier the agent is appointed to?

I thought people who only sell insurance need to be licensed not appointed?

This is for a captive carrier.

Thanks,

Yes, you will need to be appointed by the carrier. I believe appointment fees in CA are quite high, so do your research on the product you want to sell, and the company that offers it.

Back