Do Med Supp Companies typically give you "easy access" to Underwriting Dept?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I just spent 30 minutes trying to supply supporting information to UHC Help Desk. First Rep transferred me to Mb Services. Second one wanted to help, but kept me on hold for a long time and the call eventually dropped. Many years ago, I worked for a Dental HMO company that gave direct contact to the Underwriting Dept to write a group. But, I don't know if that is so common? The only thing that I want to do is supply a Doctor's fax #- not sure why this is so difficult?

HIPPA pretty much killed "direct access" to underwriting and claims. There are a couple of carriers I work with where I have "inside" access to some department heads. When needed, I can sometimes get things done or at least move to the head of the line.

I recognize this is an EARNED privilege so I don't abuse it.

The bigger the carrier the more insulated the department heads are from the great unwashed . . .

HIPPA pretty much killed "direct access" to underwriting and claims. There are a couple of carriers I work with where I have "inside" access to some department heads. When needed, I can sometimes get things done or at least move to the head of the line.

I recognize this is an EARNED privilege so I don't abuse it.

The bigger the carrier the more insulated the department heads are from the great unwashed . . .

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. My Dental job was in 1992- a few years before HIPAA.

Back