Do P&C Joint Ventures exist in the real estate space?

Which structure is better?

• Set up our own small insurance agency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JV with independent insurance agency

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! @BADTROUT I'm going to connect with you on LinkedIn right now. @fed up I think we'd have to figure out the compensation details, but we'd want it to be attractive to a good candidate and would be open to paying a base that's slightly higher than the market norm while still offering a percentage of new business and potentially referrals. @marindependent We're expecting around 75% will be interested and around 60% will eventually be insurable by our carriers.

When we're at scale we're hoping to do 200 transactions/month or so.

Major carriers have systems and discounts for current customers who 'transfer in' to a new location or state. The customer is able to keep their policy history and tenure with the company. A list of local agents for renters and new homeowners might be a good idea and I have worked with some over the years but the 'lead' I received was never exclusive of other agents or companies. Even existing customers of the carriers I worked with would shop. I have heard of agents setting up Tag and Title offices for one stop shopping but the carriers really frown on the arrangement and it must not intermingle with the business of insurance. Listen before you leap.

Hi! Your idea of starting a business is a great one. But don't forget that there are a number of pitfalls waiting for you, which can be very inconvenient. And I also strongly advise you not to forget about two little-known, but very important requirements.
1. Don't jump into the foreclosure process when the borrower has filed a full application for loss mitigation options.
2. Do not pay kickbacks or referral fees to settlement providers (e.g. appraisers, real estate brokers/agents and title companies).
That way, I think you can create what you want. You can read more on Real Estate Syndication. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Back