Does anyone Know where to Buy this Product? anyone Here Sell It for Nevada or Calif?

Sorry, Lost Dollar, can you clarify? The only restrictions on the rollover would be based on how the money is used. As long as it's for a qualified medical expense, there would be no restriction. The MSA account is technically separate from the high deductible plan, so it follows the member, even if they disenroll after the first year. There is a claw-back required if they disenroll mid-year, which is pro-rated based on the number of months not in the plan.

We designed this differently than other MSA's in the past to try and address Rick's point. I can't post the design on a public website, but if any agents wants it, just PM me.

Here is a link to the press release.

Maybe it's because of my age, but why would an MSA have a steep learning curve? It's pretty much the Medicare equivalent of a HDHP with HSA. I would think this would appeal especially to the healthier older population since they can add a PDP to it to avoid a Part D LEP. "What if I told you Medicare will put money into an account for you that you could use whenever you needed to see a doctor? And if you don't use that money, it'll be available to you the next you and the next and the next?" Why not do that instead of taking a low cost/zero premium MA (assuming Medigap is off the table due to stubbornness?)?

I think my rollover question is answered. I thought I had seen something that indicated the beneficiary would loose their money if they changed insurance providers. Craig's post indicates that only comes into play if the change or drop happens during the plan year, not after it.

But the two posts raise another question for me. Is the MSA network the original medicare/medigap network or is it a more restricted MAPD type of network?

(And it is a very long ways from an HSA because the beneficiary is not allowed to put any money in an MSA. Unless this one is different?)

Last edited:
I think my rollover question is answered. I thought I had seen something that indicated the beneficiary would loose their money if they changed insurance providers. Craig's post indicates that only comes into play if the change or drop happens during the plan year, not after it.

But the two posts raise another question for me. Is the MSA network the original medicare/medigap network or is it a more restricted MAPD type of network?

(And it is a very long ways from an HSA because the beneficiary is not allowed to put any money in an MSA. Unless this one is different?)
OK, fine, strike HSA in my comment and replace it with HRA. Happy?

Most retirees aren't in a 33% tax bracket any more, probably lower.
To get a $2550 tax savings, that person would have to contribute $7650 into an HSA.
With an MSA, client doesn't have to put anything in, and still gets the $2550.
Lower tax bracket ?.... MSA wins over HSA even more.

Most retirees aren't in a 33% tax bracket any more, probably lower.
To get a $2550 tax savings, that person would have to contribute $7650 into an HSA.
With an MSA, client doesn't have to put anything in, and still gets the $2550.
Lower tax bracket ?.... MSA wins over HSA even more.

One of the common comments about an MAPD is that it leaves a person exposed to a large out of pocket with a serious illness, and the possiblility of having to meet two of those in a row when something like cancer treatments overlap 2 years. If the "high" deductible for an MSA plan is $6,700 like on the MAPD's and the government is only contributing a small amount of the deductible to a plan, it seems like the MSA still exposes a person to significant financial risk if a serious medical event occurs.

Is the $2,550 you are referring to what will be contributed under a Lasso MSA? When I tried to read about MSA's in general, I think I was seeing reference to much smaller numbers like $1.200 to $1,500 per year.

Ummmmmm........oh..........ouch!! I've got to stop banging my head against the wall.

I hope Medicare covers self inflicted injury..........

After one MSA i found a few details on, I'm inclined to think after reading some of the discussions here, that in some locations, such as Florida that have good networks and lower OOP for MAPD, that the lower OOP MAPD (which also includes the drug coverage) with a part B rebate could be a much better deal overall for the beneficiary than an MSA plan option + PDP + additional premium for DVH (and silver sneakers).

Back