Does Being Gay/Homosexual/Lesbian Affect My Life Insurance Rates

Asking for a friend are you?

I'm not as old as dirt as @WinoBlues , but I've never seen it as a question on an application. If it ever did, it was done on the DL.

Sexual orientation alone does not affect underwriting. HIV can (obviously) affect underwriting decisions.

Some companies were negatively discriminating against those who were taking preventative medications. A year ago, Dave Jones, the then-insurance commissioner of California issued this press release regarding denials of underwriting decisions for men taking HIV/AIDS prevention medication (truvada).

Insurance Commissioner Jones opens investigation into alleged denials of life insurance policies for gay men taking HIV/AIDS prevention medications

I wrote my first Gay couple in the 80s. With John Hancock.

As I recall I just listed the beneficiary as a partner on the mortgage. I have never had a problem with a policy going through. Times have changed so now I just list as husband or wife if they are married otherwise life partner. Transgenders have been a different challenge as the ones I have done have insisted they are whatever they say they are. However, biologically some of the insurance companies see it differently.

Now being that @VolAgent is a southern boy he could run into slightly different issues such as how to list a goat, sheep or other farm critters as beneficiaries. But that is a different thread I am sure.

I wrote my first Gay couple in the 80s. With John Hancock.

As I recall I just listed the beneficiary as a partner on the mortgage. I have never had a problem with a policy going through. Times have changed so now I just list as husband or wife if they are married otherwise life partner. Transgenders have been a different challenge as the ones I have done have insisted they are whatever they say they are. However, biologically some of the insurance companies see it differently.

Now being that @VolAgent is a southern boy he could run into slightly different issues such as how to list a goat, sheep or other farm critters as beneficiaries. But that is a different thread I am sure.

Easier than you think. I just invite them to set up a trust for Mr. Whiskers. Of course every trust needs a trustee, and I'm always happy to help. And being the good fellow I am, I'm always happy to dispose of the remains of the trust after Mr. Whiskers passes.

I don't know if being gay would affect life insurance, I just assume if you are gay you would be happier about it.

Gay means happy? Get it? Ok, I'll leave now...

Sadly that meaning of gay is long gone. Although I do know a few gay guys, and while most are queens, they do seem pretty happy with life. Maybe they are onto something?

Back