Does income increasing from 390% of FPL to above 400% FPL give special election to change plans?

And it states:
YES: Current Marketplace enrollees can only use SEP to • Change plans within same metal level as current plan

Can't go from silver to bronze, which is what the OP is asking to lower premiums if paying full price for silver plan

And it states:
YES: Current Marketplace enrollees can only use SEP to • Change plans within same metal level as current plan

Can't go from silver to bronze, which is what the OP is asking to lower premiums if paying full price for silver plan

Plus, where does the OP say they are CSR eligible. If they are at 60K, that's not CSR, I don't care where they live.

I'm still not convinced that after you crunch the numbers with the RX costs that it will make sense anyway.

And it states:

I know it says that. I pointed that out in my post... not sure why your are pointing what I already stated.

In my original post I said "I dont know if you can change from Silver to Bronze". But I do know that it can create SEP.

Not sure what your hang up is. A change in CSR creates SEP, which allows for certain changes to be made. I couldnt remember exactly what, so I found the documentation and pointed out the details. It creates SEP, but with limited options.

Are you more interested in proving others wrong and arguing? Or actually having a professional discussion?

(it also says you can change metal levels if its changing to a Silver Plan, but that didnt help your narrative so you selectively left that out)

Last edited:
Plus, where does the OP say they are CSR eligible. If they are at 60K, that's not CSR, I don't care where they live.

I'm still not convinced that after you crunch the numbers with the RX costs that it will make sense anyway.

They didnt.

I simply said that a change in income large enough to trigger a change in CSR, will create SEP.

I did not say the OP's idea will work or is a good idea.

They didnt.

I simply said that a change in income large enough to trigger a change in CSR, will create SEP.

I did not say the OP's idea will work or is a good idea.

I stand by my original post, too.

Call the FFM and see what they say the rules are for today ;)

Get divorced. Leave wife on ACA since she's uninsurable and 1099 income from wife to husband so she gets subsidy. Husband bails to whatever other option there is. O, hire girlfriend & write a 3 person group or whatever is necessary given state laws.

OP doesn't get CSR, change in income above 400% will not change the plans/deductibles/etc. offered to them. It does change subsidy available to them though (from $2600 to $0). I explained everything to them but they are going to be the ones to decide to call. If they call to report income change and they CAN'T change plans, they will lose subsidy immediately AFAIK

junkman, you joke but I think have like 6 or 8 who aren't getting married to take advantage of ACA. One older well-off couple isn't so that they can have a group plan until Medicare (2 person company). Yet another because they both are in early 60s with CSR in bad health, marrying would put them out of CSR territory (they both get it currently separately, income of 17k and 28k, combined income of 45k no longer eligible for CSR) and they can't afford the combined MOOP on the plan even though it is zero premium this year. Etc., Etc., Etc.,

@TN: What makes you think I was joking? I considered it. Spouse is on FB. Our ACA premium for family of 3 approached $2,000 for the lowest plan available. I have 2 houses and could write BCBST in the country and avoid the Cigna/Oscar debacle.

Could 1099 or W-2 wife, take social security without much tax, increase wife's social security and get free ACA. Other tax effect is almost $0.

About the only thing I couldn't do is get a GF (and have the above plan continue on track). It's a sorry state of affairs.

Back