Does Mailing with USPS Form 3602 Provided Cost More?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello,

I was told from a mail company that to receive the USPS form 3602 (proof from post office of amount that went out) it would cost me more to mail with them than without that form, is that true?

They have to separate my mailing at post office from the "batch", so maybe more labor costs.

Not sure if that affects postage costs too? (something about less per zip code, costs more)

It always seems like the mail companies try to discourage having to give the 3602 form.

I really prefer having it rather than not and having nothing to track with.

Ideas, recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That is possibly true. They may be bundling your mailing with others. This could result in postage savings and reduce labor costs. I have managed a couple of mail facilities... and trust me, you are doing the right thing by asking for the 3602. If you are dealing with a high volume facility and only mailing a few thousand at a time, good luck. They could also use the new IM Barcode that can notify you when your pieces enter the mail stream. If you want to stick with that company and they truly are bundling your mailing... ask them why they aren't using the IM Barcode, if they are, ask them if you can receive the notifications the PO produces when those barcodes are scanned.

That is possibly true. They may be bundling your mailing with others. This could result in postage savings and reduce labor costs. I have managed a couple of mail facilities... and trust me, you are doing the right thing by asking for the 3602. If you are dealing with a high volume facility and only mailing a few thousand at a time, good luck. They could also use the new IM Barcode that can notify you when your pieces enter the mail stream. If you want to stick with that company and they truly are bundling your mailing... ask them why they aren't using the IM Barcode, if they are, ask them if you can receive the notifications the PO produces when those barcodes are scanned.

I am curious, why specifically do you feel I am doing the right thing by asking for the 3602?

Will the IM Barcode let you know all your pieces were mailed?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
A stamped copy of a 3602 confirms the quantity of mail entered at the PO and the date and time it was submitted. The direct mail business is typically feast or famine and their goal is to try to overbook their machines. You will often experience a day or two in delays but they should never exceed 2 days, and at least half of the time or more they should be dropping on the target date.

The IM Barcode will most likely not tell you when all of your pieces are mailed, it really just depends on how your mail house has their IM Barcodes registered with the USPS. You can google IMB barcode for more info, there are also companies that specialize in this service like trackmymail dot com. But tracking your mail isn't nearly as important as making sure your mail house is effectively communicating with you. Some mail houses like to blame all delays on the PO, I used to pick up a lot of business from those companies. Requiring them to fax you a copy of the STAMPED 3602 will require them to communicate the truth.

A stamped copy of a 3602 confirms the quantity of mail entered at the PO and the date and time it was submitted. The direct mail business is typically feast or famine and their goal is to try to overbook their machines. You will often experience a day or two in delays but they should never exceed 2 days, and at least half of the time or more they should be dropping on the target date.

The IM Barcode will most likely not tell you when all of your pieces are mailed, it really just depends on how your mail house has their IM Barcodes registered with the USPS. You can google IMB barcode for more info, there are also companies that specialize in this service like trackmymail dot com. But tracking your mail isn't nearly as important as making sure your mail house is effectively communicating with you. Some mail houses like to blame all delays on the PO, I used to pick up a lot of business from those companies. Requiring them to fax you a copy of the STAMPED 3602 will require them to communicate the truth.

Good info!

My main concern is that ALL the mail that was supposed to go out, went out.

Most of the Lead companies say within 5 to 10 days to get to the USPS. Of course I prefer sooner, but it won't cost me anything if it takes a few days longer.

Last edited:
I would think that a lead company would want you to have success with their product. Therefore, I would assume they are dropping the proper quantity within 1% (due to production spoilage). If you aren't reaching your target response rate it is most likely the message, targeted demographic, timing etc. I would expect a fair price for them to separate your mailing, submit as a separate drop and supply you with the STAMPED 3602 would be anywhere from $50-$100 per mailing. However, many companies will waive or reduce the extra fee if you are mailing >2,000 per drop.

I emphasize stamped 3602 because anybody can produce a 3602 with whatever information they would like. The PO stamps the original 3602 and submits it back to the mail house for their records and keeps a second copy for their file. A 3602 will also confirm the total postage required, some companies charge a flat rate for bulk postage and pockets the postal discounts they receive for bundling drops.

Back