Does "old School" Marketing Still Work

How would doing door hangings in towns of choice compare to mailings?
Better--equal--worse?
(and would doing them possibly require a permit too?)

----------

Don't sell insurance. Sell yourself. ;)

I think I saw in one of your posts that you get referrals from some financial planners-are the networking business meetings how you got hooked up with them?

What are the techniques for capturing attendee information in seminar/workshop situations?

You collect the information for compliance record keeping purposes required by your firm/industry. Name, email, phone.

The one-on-one one-by-one concept seems opposed to some of the other ideas.
In the sense that a newspaper ad or a door hanging or a seminar would create a "flood" of prospects all requiring some urgency in attention. Do prospects obtained in these ways become "stale"?

You contact them one at a time, and set appointments with them to see them to discuss their individual situation. I would suggest responding to any leads within 24 business hours of receiving the ad, and ideally, having an auto-responder to deliver the free report, etc.

LostDollar;1137508} I think I saw in one of your posts that you get referrals from some financial planners-are the networking business meetings how you got hooked up with them?[/QUOTE said:
Kind of ;)

When I started the business, I was hired by a Guardian office. The way they did it was after you sold 6 life insurance policies, you got $2K for 24(?) months. The guy who owned the agency didn't want his financial planners wasting their time on health and he brought me in to do the health insurance for them, but I had to sell 6 life policies a month. (Which was done over the phone, via mortgage leads, that were free. It wasn't real tough to get to 6). The office was closed when GLIC consolidated and I just started calling FP's I already knew (everyone knows at least 10 FP's) and did it. Joined a BNI, which is a great place to learn HOW to network, met a top Edward Jones gal and it just snowballs. Then they quit Edward Jones and go to Ameriprise and bring me with them, which adds 5 more FP's. I met a guy picking up vans for our church YG. "What do you for a living?" He is a partner at a FP firm. There are 5 FP's. He sent out an email in September to his O65's that said "Call Jenny. She's Brilliant". I've sold 22 policies so far from that email and I have no clue how many more are already on my calendar.

"I work in Florida selling medicare advantage plans in order to succeed you have to have the proper sales training, ability to offer multiple medicare advantage plans to clients, and most important a marketing plan that works. Mail outs are very expensive but work the best during AEP.The key is table top events in high senior traffic areas will generate low cost leads with the right products. "

I found the post above in another thread. It was made in 2014 by a person who made only the one post.

The "table top events" caught my eye. Assuming you could get permission, would selling rules allow you to set up a table in a lobby area of a high end retirement facility? The character of the facility might offer some screening of the financial condition of prospects. You could take in one of those big plates of cookies as a draw to the table.

"I work in Florida selling medicare advantage plans in order to succeed you have to have the proper sales training, ability to offer multiple medicare advantage plans to clients, and most important a marketing plan that works. Mail outs are very expensive but work the best during AEP.The key is table top events in high senior traffic areas will generate low cost leads with the right products. "

I found the post above in another thread. It was made in 2014 by a person who made only the one post.

The "table top events" caught my eye. Assuming you could get permission, would selling rules allow you to set up a table in a lobby area of a high end retirement facility? The character of the facility might offer some screening of the financial condition of prospects. You could take in one of those big plates of cookies as a draw to the table.

Are you suggesting that old people like cookies? What about milk to wash them down with?:err:

Are you suggesting that old people like cookies? What about milk to wash them down with?:err:

My marketing budget is not big enough for the cooler, dry ice and dairy products. Maybe the table could be located near a water fountain for the benefit of those there only for refreshments! :GEEK:

(And I'll have you know I once caught an alleycat in a lettuce crate trap with old lettuce leaves. ) :jimlad:

My marketing budget is not big enough for the cooler, dry ice and dairy products. Maybe the table could be located near a water fountain for the benefit of those there only for refreshments! :GEEK:

(And I'll have you know I once caught an alleycat in a lettuce crate trap with old lettuce leaves. ) :jimlad:

There's more than one way to catch(skin)a cat.:yes:

Yes. Old school marketing still works. Direct mail still works. Telemarketing to existing clients still works. Basic sales techniques still work. Handwritten notes are powerful. Refrigerator magnets are a good investment. And just the thought of getting a referral gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling deep in my wallet.

However old school marketing is even more powerful when combined with newer methods.

If you contact the same prospect multiple times you will have a greater chance of making a sale, so long as you don't annoy them. So you don't want to make 10 phone calls in the same week to someone who hasn't expressed much interest. However, you can call, send an email, send a non personalized post card, send a handwritten note, use Internet remarketing and call again over the course of a month or so if they haven't bought yet.

(My definition of a prospect is someone who is likely to buy what you have to sell from you or someone else in the near future. So once you know they are not a prospect, take them off your list.)

This only works when you combine more than one marketing method to target the same list.

I use this principle in my marketing: It is much better to connect with a hundred people five times than it is to connect with five hundred people once.

Kind of ;)

When I started the business, I was hired by a Guardian office. The way they did it was after you sold 6 life insurance policies, you got $2K for 24(?) months. The guy who owned the agency didn't want his financial planners wasting their time on health and he brought me in to do the health insurance for them, but I had to sell 6 life policies a month. (Which was done over the phone, via mortgage leads, that were free. It wasn't real tough to get to 6). The office was closed when GLIC consolidated and I just started calling FP's I already knew (everyone knows at least 10 FP's) and did it. Joined a BNI, which is a great place to learn HOW to network, met a top Edward Jones gal and it just snowballs. Then they quit Edward Jones and go to Ameriprise and bring me with them, which adds 5 more FP's. I met a guy picking up vans for our church YG. "What do you for a living?" He is a partner at a FP firm. There are 5 FP's. He sent out an email in September to his O65's that said "Call Jenny. She's Brilliant". I've sold 22 policies so far from that email and I have no clue how many more are already on my calendar.

What type of referrals are you getting from Jones? Or the others?
Just curious. The Jones folks around here all seem to do life, granted its a small part of their business and alot of VUL it seems.

I could see FP's referring for Med Supp, etc... do many refer life cases?

Thx

What type of referrals are you getting from Jones? Or the others?
Just curious. The Jones folks around here all seem to do life, granted its a small part of their business and alot of VUL it seems.

I could see FP's referring for Med Supp, etc... do many refer life cases?

Thx

Health. Indy, small group and Med Supp. I don't sell life.

And its probably 80% Med Supp

Back