Dominate SERPS With Topics

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
The most important thing you can do for your site when either building it or rethinking its structure is to take a step back and strategize the topics you need to focus on.

By looking at the broader aspects of your offerings and identifying a top-level topic for that offering, you will have a better understanding of your needs.

After you have an idea of what your main topic focuses need to be you can follow the standard keyword research process.
How to Dominate SERPS by Focusing on Topics Instead of Keywords

The most important thing you can do for your site when either building it or rethinking its structure is to take a step back and strategize the topics you need to focus on.

By looking at the broader aspects of your offerings and identifying a top-level topic for that offering, you will have a better understanding of your needs.

After you have an idea of what your main topic focuses need to be you can follow the standard keyword research process.
How to Dominate SERPS by Focusing on Topics Instead of Keywords

I love using Yoast Suggest. You can add a question modifier and get a better picture of the intent of the search..

For example:

Can (keyword or phrase)

I am new to SEO so please forgive me if this is incorrect, but I have been reading a lot about ahrefs and it seems like they have a great tool to perform keyword research. I have read a lot of articles discussing the usefulness of the questions section when performing keyword research. Would you recommend this tool as a viable option when creating content?

I am new to SEO so please forgive me if this is incorrect, but I have been reading a lot about ahrefs and it seems like they have a great tool to perform keyword research. I have read a lot of articles discussing the usefulness of the questions section when performing keyword research. Would you recommend this tool as a viable option when creating content?

Not for you, no.

Why? It's expensive and you have a new site.

Furthermore "estimated keyword search" is highly unreliable.

Use yoast suggest and add a question modifier. For example, Why Cancer insurance. It will pop up with a host of questions. Even better got to Google and type in a question. It will populate addition questions as suggested search at the bottom.

Instead of buying Ahrefs, consider buying a basic digital marketing course instead.

I generally start off my sequence of blogs with targeting short-tail (like you said, high level) keywords and then trickling down to long-tail keywords that, according to my research, can also help boost your search ranks for the short-tail keyword.

For example, i'll start with "What Is Life Insurance?" and as I publish more blogs based on the keywords surrounding life insurance, the 8th or 9th within the sequence will be something along the lines of "The Benefits Of Final Expense Insurance."

Long story short - start small, target a cluster of keywords and they will all rank well together.

Cheers!

ahrefs is awesome. But it is super expensive. And I agree with

A $1,000 SEO or Digital Marketing course will get a farther in the long run.

There's a few things you can do that aren't a grand. Ahrefs has a free blogging for business course. You could also check out Income School. They have a 499 year subscription that also does YouTube, Pinterest and other courses as well.

There's a few things you can do that aren't a grand. Ahrefs has a free blogging for business course. You could also check out Income School. They have a 499 year subscription that also does YouTube, Pinterest and other courses as well.
Moz is offering a bunch of free SEO courses that they normally charge for through May 31.

You could also check out Income School. They have a 499 year subscription that also does YouTube, Pinterest and other courses as well.

There are some cool, extended digital marketing classes on Udemy.

There's a lot of them though, so make sure you find the one with good reviews, established authors etc...
Another important thing to have in mind, is not to rush in buying the course as soon as you find it appealing. This is because Udemy always has daily/weekly/random discounts.

Some advanced courses that cost $199 (lifetime license) can go all the way down to $9.99.
So you just make your wishlist there and check often :)

Back