Door Knocking Med Supps for 68-70yr Olds

azmedsupagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ive door knocked t65s near my existing appointments in the past with minimal success. They are getting hit so hard already with mail and phone calls as soon you mention medicare they put a wall up. Has anyone tried door knocking folks that are 68 and older? My guess is they have had a few increases by then probably arent being hit up quite as hard so they might be more willing to talk about saving some money on their medicare supplement plan. Thoughts?

Ive door knocked t65s near my existing appointments in the past with minimal success. They are getting hit so hard already with mail and phone calls as soon you mention medicare they put a wall up. Has anyone tried door knocking folks that are 68 and older? My guess is they have had a few increases by then probably arent being hit up quite as hard so they might be more willing to talk about saving some money on their medicare supplement plan. Thoughts?

I think you would have more success than with T65s.

Your spot on with the 68+ target. Door knocking is also a good approach, if your willing to do it. Target the people who are on the DNC since they are not getting bombarded with phone calls.

Use a 3 step approach:
1) Acknowledge they are on DNC, and get permission to call them. (Written permission is best)
2) Ask for an appointment
3) If your feeling good, try to get in the door and conduct an appointment right there.

Plug your list into GPS mapping software so you can plan a route to hit x number of prospects.

People can be tough guys over the phone, and softies FTF. Its easier to get an appointment or build a relationship standing in front of them.

I agree with xrac and gflo.

Here are some numbers for fun from the AHIP Medigap Satisfaction Survey (June 2012):

5 Year Enrollment Pattern:
49% will keep their same coverage
12% will change Medigap plans (from Medigap to Medigap)
10% will change to Medigap from another form of coverage

If you want to swim in some numbers, I attached the report. The above numbers are on page 16.

Attachments

• AHIP 2012 Medigap Satisfaction Survey.pdf
    199.8 KB · Views: 17

Here are some numbers for fun from the AHIP Medigap Satisfaction Survey (June 2012):

If you want to swim in some numbers, I attached the report. The above numbers are on page 16.

So according to ahip only 12% of the medigap customers I talk to will be willing to switch? I find that hard to believe.

According to the report, they surveyed 500 people. Not that your results will reflect the study, I just found it interesting to read.

I am sure people will answer someone taking a survey differently as opposed to someone trying to sell them something.

And, this is assuming they all answered honestly.

Many lie today; prospects are bigger liars than most sales people. My sales coach told me that and experience has also taught me this truth.

Just my 2 cents....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I failed to mention one last thing in my earlier post; midwestbroker, I'm not even trying to imply you're in err. Never. I know you know what you're doing. We've spoken before and I know you know your business and all aspects of it.
I highly respect you. And your sources from where you dig are credible.

But what I am sayig is a lot of people lie when they take surveys - peeps of all ages! Think back if you will if you've ever taken a survey and more importantly with whom and what if any- was a motivating factor. How honest were you? Seniors, are - for the most part- those with a good head on their shoulders still are very cautious with what they share and more importantly, with whom they share! Don't forget, they've lived, and most of them, have had a lot of bumps along their paths. So... and...

But at the end of the day, if you can earn their trust, some, but def. not all will be more loyal than a good ole grand dog is to his /her kind giving owner.

Last edited:
@honestagent. its not important that we analyze the statistical relevance of this survey. if its plus or minus a few percent who cares. with a large enough sample those types of anomalies get ironed out in the numbers.

im looking to see if anyone has real world experience hitting the street and cold knocking on a 69 yr olds door to talk about med supps. Anyone?

Go ahead and have a rate cheat sheet with all of your companies side by side on it, that way when you knock on the door, you can sweep them off their feet with the lower/est rate... then after you get some money saved up, you can put some money into marketing through direct mail and hiring someone to dial for you, that way you are spending your time selling and letting others prospect for you

Back