Door Knocking

My understanding is that new reps with Edward D. Jones have to do residential door knocking during their first year.

(knock on the door - lady of the house opens it)

Hi, dear sir or madam. How are you. That's great! Cute dog, I have one just like it at home! Did you know that Term Life rates are at an all-time low?

(take out gun - point it at china vase - point and shoot)

Wow, just imagine if that happened to you, or someone you love. What would you do? Who would pay the bills?

Lucky for you, we at the Getout Yourpen & Sign Insurance company are offering term rates for someone in your age group for less than $21 per month.

(she begins to close door - you shove foot in doorway)

But wait, before you say NO, we are willing to offer you this free pint of OxyClean, and this new WOW shammy, that can dry blood off carpeting.

(she pokes you in the family jewels with an umbrella cane, you fall back, writhing in pain - she closes the door)

Residential Door-to-Door. Great idea.;)

One would not go out to sell term life door to door in this day in age.
Now if you were selling investment services then it might work. A friend of mine went to work for Edward Jones and he went door knocking. He went to areas that were uper middle class and looked for parked cars in the middle of the day. These people turned out to be retired. Some of these retired people had CD's.(certificate of Deposites) Well some of these CD were coming to expire or whatever you want to call it.
At that point Edward Jones had many investment options for these people. The guy knocked down $79,000 in commission in his first year with EJ knocking on doors. He was recruited by Merrill Lynch for the private investor clients.

Not advocating the idea, but I would give someone who showed up at my door more time than one who called me cold on the phone.

Not advocating the idea, but I would give someone who showed up at my door more time than one who called me cold on the phone.

This guy at EJ had a great pitch. He would wear a 3 piece suit with the vest so he looked like a banker. No one but bankers wears a suit with a vest anymore.
He would speak to the senior and give a pitch on how he is doing things the old school way. This really worked for him.

One really has to have some serious drive to go out and sell this way.
When we were in college he sold cut co knives so that is where he got his back ground for door knocking.

Oh my God - Cutco! Vector marketing. Went on an interview while in college - turned out to be a group interview and if you saw the hiring scene in Boiler Room...yeah, just like that.

The manager stated bluntly "Now I need $300 from each of you right now for your starter kit. If you're serious about making big money you can stay. Everyone else - there's the door."

I think the "manager" must have been 15 or 16 (lol) I had to take a pass. Door to door or friends and family selling knife sets for thousands of dollars.

Back