DVH Plan Waiting Period Removal Prior Creditable Coverage?

vertex

Expert
Can anyone confirm which DVH plans would wave waiting periods with prior group creditable coverage? Aetna, Medico, Manhattan or another? Thank you.

Humana has at least one standalone dental plan that waives it, as does Nationwide (you can add a vision rider). I think SureBridge does as well.

I just recently started selling an association plan where the client gest a membership, with access to dental insurance. I just add the cost of the membership into the cost of the dental. This is how I present it "United Concordia Dental (through AFEUSA Association) cost is $40.94 for a $1,500 benefit. It covers 50% of cleanings, fillings, and major dental work without a wait. Or for $67.44 a month for a $3,500 benefit that it covers 100% for cleanings, 70% for fillings and major dental with no wait. Or for $75.64 a month, you can get a $5,000 yearly benefit and no wait for major dental work. (no orthodontics coverage). With this plan you are also getting a membership plan with AFEUSA association. That comes with extra benefits like RX Valet & 800 MD & VSP Savings all of the benefits listed below."

Caveat, not an agent.

But I was looking at dental coverage last year.

The Kansas versions of BCBS dental and Delta dental both waive waiting periods. They have somewhat different processes, but the result is immediate access to network pricing for major services. I don't know if an independent agent can sell those products.

There is very restricted information about Aetna dental coverage available to consumers unless they go through an agent. I was never willing to do that because I did not feel confident I would be able to give an agent a sale for the Aetna product. I believe they waive waiting periods for prior group coverage, but I would suggest that you call their agent services department to find out for sure.

MetLife. I believe I had an email from a MetLife CSR saying they would waive waiting periods for prior coverage. I was interested in that dental product but they have some quirky co-ordination of benefits rules for other dental plans that rendered their product unsuitable for me so I never followed up. Again I would suggest calling their agent services department to get an answer to your question.

For the benefit of your clients, I would suggest you also consider networks as you look at insurance products. My dentist fired me last year and I was doing some comparative crown pricing with other providers. I found dentists that took no insurance, dentists that took only the highest priced BCBS option or Delta plans, and dentists that would accept other things besides BCBS or Delta.

However, the dentists that accepted other plans did not all accept the same thing. I had a list of 4 providers (including the one that fired me) near me that accepted the odd plans. I think only one accepted iConcordia. Maybe 2 took Aetna. I think 3 took Dentemax based plans, but the fourth emphatically stated on their website they would not take Dentemax. And so on.

At least in my area, network restriction become even more pronounced if you need dental service from providers other than general dentists. For example, you can forget any network repricing for root canals from an endodontist unless you have Delta or the top BCBS plans.

Edit --- Fri 02/11/2022
My comments above are for dental insurance only coverage.
End Edit

Last edited:
Caveat, not an agent.

But I was looking at dental coverage last year.

The Kansas versions of BCBS dental and Delta dental both waive waiting periods. They have somewhat different processes, but the result is immediate access to network pricing for major services. I don't know if an independent agent can sell those products.

There is very restricted information about Aetna dental coverage available to consumers unless they go through an agent. I was never willing to do that because I did not feel confident I would be able to give an agent a sale for the Aetna product. I believe they waive waiting periods for prior group coverage, but I would suggest that you call their agent services department to find out for sure.

MetLife. I believe I had an email from a MetLife CSR saying they would waive waiting periods for prior coverage. I was interested in that dental product but they have some quirky co-ordination of benefits rules for other dental plans that rendered their product unsuitable for me so I never followed up. Again I would suggest calling their agent services department to get an answer to your question.

For the benefit of your clients, I would suggest you also consider networks as you look at insurance products. My dentist fired me last year and I was doing some comparative crown pricing with other providers. I found dentists that took no insurance, dentists that took only the highest priced BCBS option or Delta plans, and dentists that would accept other things besides BCBS or Delta.

However, the dentists that accepted other plans did not all accept the same thing. I had a list of 4 providers (including the one that fired me) near me that accepted the odd plans. I think only one accepted iConcordia. Maybe 2 took Aetna. I think 3 took Dentemax based plans, but the fourth emphatically stated on their website they would not take Dentemax. And so on.

At least in my area, network restriction become even more pronounced if you need dental service from providers other than general dentists. For example, you can forget any network repricing for root canals from an endodontist unless you have Delta or the top BCBS plans.
Aetna doesn't waive the waiting period and Manhattan has a MUCH better DVH plan than Aetna.:yes:

The Aetna DVH+ plan doesn't have any waiting periods to waive...no waiting periods on all classes and you don't need to prove prior coverage.
You really need to study the products. The original DVH has a 12 month wait on Major Dental and Hearing, and 6 month wait on Vision.

The DVH Plus has a 6 month waiting period on Vision and a 12 month wait on Hearing.

Aetna doesn't waive the waiting period and Manhattan has a MUCH better DVH plan than Aetna.:yes:

Hey, thanks for the comment.

I wasn't paying close attention again. My comments related to stand alone dental products, not DVH. I had kind of glossed over DVH anyway and then Northeast Agent's post focused me on individual dental. I put an edit on the bottom of my post above.

I know you and Rousemark like the Manhattan DVH plan. It is just not something that matches to my needs and temperament.

Humana has at least one standalone dental plan that waives it, as does Nationwide (you can add a vision rider). I think SureBridge does as well.

I just recently started selling an association plan where the client gest a membership, with access to dental insurance. I just add the cost of the membership into the cost of the dental. This is how I present it "United Concordia Dental (through AFEUSA Association) cost is $40.94 for a $1,500 benefit. It covers 50% of cleanings, fillings, and major dental work without a wait. Or for $67.44 a month for a $3,500 benefit that it covers 100% for cleanings, 70% for fillings and major dental with no wait. Or for $75.64 a month, you can get a $5,000 yearly benefit and no wait for major dental work. (no orthodontics coverage). With this plan you are also getting a membership plan with AFEUSA association. That comes with extra benefits like RX Valet & 800 MD & VSP Savings all of the benefits listed below."

Required to use par, network providers for major procedures (crown, root canal, etc.)?

Back