Any dental ins companies that waive waiting periods?

Are there any caveats to this? Just want to make the right choice. Also if it helps, I’m in California.
LifeShield does if you've had your current plan for a year.

NCD does if you had a group plan, but not a stand alone individual plan. If they waive the waiting period...no commission.

Are there any caveats to this? Just want to make the right choice. Also if it helps, I’m in California.
Caveat, I am not an agent.

I don't believe there is any "standard" procedure for this. You would be well advised to discuss the concern with the specific company(ies) before buying.

3-4 years ago I was looking at additional dental coverage. Generally speaking, what I found then was companies that did have waiting period waivers for prior coverage required that the previous dental coverage included coverage of Major Dental services.

The required length of prior coverage or the "uncovered time gap" between old and new coverage would vary from one carrier to another.

I don't think I ran into the idea that a carrier would accept old group plan coverage as "acceptable prior coverage" but not accept standalone coverage as "acceptable prior coverage", but I guess that could be a factor too.

In my personal case, BCBSKS Dental and Delta Dental of KS both accepted a stand alone plan, which included Major Services coverage, as valid prior coverage for their purposes.

Back