E & S wholesaler also has retail insurance brokerage

An E&S wholesaler is what makes the sandwich go into the carburetor. I'm sorry I thought everybody understood that. I would be happy to provide further guidance.

Sorry for the smart-ass comment. Excess and Surplus wholesaler is a broker or MGA that offers insurance carriers that the admitted markets don't write or can't.

Your question in and of itself proves you do not need this information, and clearly would have no idea what to do with it even if you had it.
caveat, not an agent.

What I am really interested in is the reason(s) for these comments:
Frankly, it is a valid concern to have.

It's only after you have some experience in the industry you realize it's not a real threat.

Conceptually, OP's question is an agency administration question which could apply to Insurance Agents in any line of insurance.

Should I do business with an intermediary between me and an insurance carrier when the intermediary is also going to compete with me for the consumers who buy the insurance?

I just figured I would need to know the meanings of "E" and "S" in order to follow a specific set of P&C related comments.

So, WHY do you see OP's question as a valid concern?

and then

WHY do you say it doesn't matter?

I just figured I would need to know the meanings of "E" and "S" in order to follow a specific set of P&C related comments.
"Excess & Surplus lines (E&S) is a specialty market that insures things standard carriers won't cover. The difficult or high-risk exposures in which E&S carriers specialize may range from a mobile home or a day care center to a multinational oil company."Source

WHY do you see OP's question as a valid concern?
Its valid becuase its possible to lose the business to the group after you start working with them and bind the policy through them [I guess.]

But....

WHY do you say it doesn't matter?
If an agent feels like a client will leave them to work with an E&S provider directly than perhaps the Agent need to add more value or missunderstands the hassle of dealing directly with one of these groups. Besides each and every year clients have the option to leave you for a better provider/solution.

I am totally fine with my clients leaving me for so called greener pastures. I collect so many clients from brokers that do not know how to explain or respond its crazy.

Lastly I have picked up clients that do work with a E&S vendor directly and are so confused and hate working with them. But these are consumers and NOT business owners. so its not the same scenario.

Back