Effective Marketing Techniques?

Also remember that in our business, the health applications ask for some very personal and detailed information. If a family member or friend knows what you do and does not ask for your help - it may mean that they have information they would rather not share with anyone too close. They may not want you to know they have herpes, hemorrhoids, disorders of the reproductive organs, etc.

Allow them to keep their distance without pressure.

Delta76;40634} I personally wouldn't go there. He knows what you do said:
Honestly, I didn't really want to approach that case, anyway. If he mentions it, I might see if there is some sort of simplified or guaranteed issue product that fits the bill, but I doubt they could afford it.

Thanks for the script ideas. I have to motivate myself to start calling, but after doing it for about half an hour, it seems to become easier and easier.

On a side note, its best not to mention specific products and prices on the phone, right? I assume that they are saved for the face to face meeting.

Thanks, Dave.

Last edited:
Something we've been doing for about six months now that is generating more success than anything in the past is a resume mailing. We have purchased a list of prospects based on the demographics we want to target and our producers are mailing out 20 resumes and cover letters per week. It is a detailed resume outlining that producers credentials, etc and the cover is the same you would send to walmart for the greeter position !! Only thing is, we are asking to be considered for an interview for the position of the families insurance agent. We then follow-up with a call asking if they received it and would they consider giving me an opportunity to interview for the position. Really strokes the ego and success rate so far has been unbelievable. Only time will tell if these success numbers will hold up. These are sent out in a large manilla envelope on resume quality paper and hand addressed.

Good luck in you endeavor !!

Something we've been doing for about six months now that is generating more success than anything in the past is a resume mailing. We have purchased a list of prospects based on the demographics we want to target and our producers are mailing out 20 resumes and cover letters per week. It is a detailed resume outlining that producers credentials, etc and the cover is the same you would send to walmart for the greeter position !! Only thing is, we are asking to be considered for an interview for the position of the families insurance agent. We then follow-up with a call asking if they received it and would they consider giving me an opportunity to interview for the position. Really strokes the ego and success rate so far has been unbelievable. Only time will tell if these success numbers will hold up. These are sent out in a large manilla envelope on resume quality paper and hand addressed.

I LOVE this idea. Looks like a good way to get your foot in the door. Another option would be send the prospect the same document in an e-mail after having an informal chat. Of course that means putting together a resume. Do you have a sample copy to share with the board?

Honestly, I didn't really want to approach that case, anyway. If he mentions it, I might see if there is some sort of simplified or guaranteed issue product that fits the bill, but I doubt they could afford it.

Thanks for the script ideas. I have to motivate myself to start calling, but after doing it for about half an hour, it seems to become easier and easier.

On a side note, its best not to mention specific products and prices on the phone, right? I assume that they are saved for the face to face meeting.

Thanks, Dave.

You're correct. It is best to give ranges when first talking until you're able to qualify the prospect and find it exactly what they need. Here are the steps I use.

1) Call
2a) Qualify OR
2b) Schedule a 10 minute follow up discussion to see if there is potential for the two parties to work together (unless you can qualify on the 1st call).
3) Call at appointment time, find their issues (premium, coverage, agent, insurance carrier, etc.), confirm decisions makers and agreement to earn business if the discussed goals are achieved.
4) Call or visit and sell the product.

Thanks. I really like this idea, and would love to see an example.

Thanks, Dave.

Well, fellows, thank you for all of your advice and help. I am planning to start cold-calling/telemarketing as of next Monday (taking the rest of the week of for Thanksgiving). I am just planning on picking up the local phone book, and starting with the A section:). I am hoping for at least a one out of fifty success ratio, and if I could get it, I would be fine.

I posted on the Health page about some ideas I have about a few UA health products, basically a Prescription discount card and a Accident plan. Both are cheap (less than $10.00 per month) and I was planning on trying to use them to cross sell the life insurance products.

Thanks, Dave.

Start with the "Z"s! Everyone else starts with the A's and they get so sick of it they never get to the "Z"s

You have great enthusiasm, but I want to make sure you maximize your odds. Great advice Mr. Bill about starting at the end of the alphabet. Three things:

1. Get a list with the owners name so you can ask for the right person when you call. It will improve your ratios substantially. Call your local library and ask if they have a subscription to Reference USA. For free, I can access the database through the library's website at my home computer. Or if that option isn't there, go to goleads.com and pay $10 per month.

2. Why not just sell health insurance or life insurance instead of dinking around with discount cards and accident policies. Lead with something that will pay your bills, then cross-sell the dinky stuff as much as you care to.

3. You need a follow-up system. Use index cards with month and day tabs or outlook or ACT! or whatever you care to use. Just use something so that when the prospect says, "I'd like to meet, call me Monday.", you have a system to call on Monday.

Keep in mind that the ratios improve after a week, two weeks, and a month of calling. You nuture those that aren't quite ready yet and when they start hitting, your numbers improve. I turn 3.5% of my dials into appointments, but not immediately after calling them for the first time.

The number 1 key: don't over think this business, just make the dials!

Back