Enough with the Hostility

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I realize there has been some recent discussion about the way things have been moderated and while the powers that be have told us they have not been cracking down anymore than usual, I think it's a point that should be addressed.

There are some that believe that vendors disrupt that natural flow of this forum because they post in an effort to promote their services. As a vendor I'm admittedly biased, but I try to provide quality content and be helpful so that when folks see my signature they are getting some value in what I'm posting vs just trying to get it out there.

That all being said, I think one of the things that's hurting this forum infinitely more than any vendors is the overall tone of hostility. Many times a newb will come on here and say "I'm a new agent, what do I do know?" and there is understandably some tough love that comes along with some of the responses, but folks here tend to take harassing posters to a level far and above what makes this forum helpful. I like the forum for what it is and personally don't have a problem with most of the banter (in fact, I find it amusing), but it does hurt the tone of the forum and ultimately it hurts Sam's business (forum owner). We're all here as guests and out of respect to him it would probably be polite for us to tone it down a bit. When Sam is talking to advertisers and half the posts on a given thread are snide remarks or insults, it doesn't help any of us.

Just my two cents, I'm sure many will disagree, but I think the key point here is that we are here as Sam's guests and collectively speaking we should probably treat that with a little more respect than we do.

I agree that there has often been a lot of unnecessary hostility. However, I think the absence of at least two offending parties has caused that the be curtailed somewhat. On the other hand I have no problem with good nature banter or clever retorts to obviously unthought out questions. I think the cutting tone especially concerning politics is not needed.

Josh said:
I realize there has been some recent discussion about the way things have been moderated and while the powers that be have told us they have not been cracking down anymore than usual, I think it's a point that should be addressed.

There are some that believe that vendors disrupt that natural flow of this forum because they post in an effort to promote their services. As a vendor I'm admittedly biased, but I try to provide quality content and be helpful so that when folks see my signature they are getting some value in what I'm posting vs just trying to get it out there.

That all being said, I think one of the things that's hurting this forum infinitely more than any vendors is the overall tone of hostility. Many times a newb will come on here and say "I'm a new agent, what do I do know?" and there is understandably some tough love that comes along with some of the responses, but folks here tend to take harassing posters to a level far and above what makes this forum helpful. I like the forum for what it is and personally don't have a problem with most of the banter (in fact, I find it amusing), but it does hurt the tone of the forum and ultimately it hurts Sam's business (forum owner). We're all here as guests and out of respect to him it would probably be polite for us to tone it down a bit. When Sam is talking to advertisers and half the posts on a given thread are snide remarks or insults, it doesn't help any of us.

Just my two cents, I'm sure many will disagree, but I think the key point here is that we are here as Sam's guests and collectively speaking we should probably treat that with a little more respect than we do.

Are you also posting as b61mack? :skeptical:

I think the tough love has come on by how we have come to treat spammers and it has flowed over to some new agent and even consumer questions. I can't believe some of the responses from some agents on here when a consumer asked a question about a fire hydrant I think reaching out and hitting his car.

I think that this is the internet and people are going to say what they want because they can't in real life and don't have to impress anyone.

With that being said, it's a good and bad thing. Let's get more of the good content to even the mix, not reduce the bad stuff.

I think the tough love has come on by how we have come to treat spammers and it has flowed over to some new agent and even consumer questions. I can't believe some of the responses from some agents on here when a consumer asked a question about a fire hydrant I think reaching out and hitting his car.

This guy left himself open with the way he worded that post.

I thought it was funny and honestly the guy got his answer. When you compare to the other things said here in humor, in anger, and in ignorance, is the fire hydrant one really that bad?

We joked and the guy got his answer all within a couple of hours of posting. If someone is intelligent enough to come online and find a forum, register, read through other things said (or have the ability to), and then post a topic, they should know that they would get a variety of answers from helpful to non-helpful. He got both as a perfect sample size.

Latest posts

Back