Exterior House Paint Damage Neighbor's Car, which Insurance Covers It?

I have a current copy of the ISO HO forms (May 2011). Section II liability and medpay coverage is identical in all of them. There is no liability exclusion for damage TO a third party's auto. The liability exclusion for autos applies to ownership, maintenance, use, entrustment, etc. I also have a bunch of non-ISO forms from State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, etc. I can't find an exclusion in those forms either.

There is quite a bit of case law involving CGL policies and paint overspray. The usual attempt at denying coverage is by citing a pollution exclusion. Most of the ones I've looked at weren't successful, usually because the court said there was no "escape, seepage, leakage, etc." and/or the damage did not constitutes "irritation or contamination" per se.

I think it has to do with your provider mostly. The big question is how bad of a service was down for it to be that easily damaged. If I called over a team of painters to do the exterior of my house I will definitely make them pay in case they damaged anything around the property. This is one of the reasons I trust only agencies that provide me with the contract, so I can always run back to it in case I'm dissatisfied. When I painted my house in Singapore I had a contract signed with https://www.paintingservicesingapore.sg/house-painting-services/ and they were more than happy to provide it to me. Of course the job was they did was perfect, so I never had any complaints, but they were formal by all means.

Last edited:
Back