Family Succession Plan for Agency/Am I wrong?

Fishinnole

Hello all, needing some advice/guidance as I don't know which way to go. My dad started in the insurance world about 50 years ago and opened his agency here in FL about 40 years ago. He did a huge amount of life insurance over the years with a big name company and also dabbled in the P&C realm with another big name. I started working for him 14 years ago and it was just me and him. At the time, he had about $1.5m book of P&C. I handled messages, paperwork, mailing, writing, etc. During that time we gained appointments to more independent carriers and I actively worked growing it.

I did not make much money those years as I was new and had to earn things in his opinion like he had. Fast forward, the book all in is around $8 million and we have 3 fulltime employees. Two assistants and another agent that actively writes. Out of the $8 million, I wrote probably $6.5m of it. Alot of the original $1.5m vanished due to non renewals for exposure, passings, etc. Now the last few years I have made a considerable amount more as I am salaried vs. commission based. I did it that way with the assumption I would get the agency when my dad retired as no one else in my family is interested in insurance. I never asked for part of bonus payments that I pushed to make sure he received that were in the hundreds of thousands.

I brought up the topic to my dad about a year ago of when he eventually does retire how things would look for me taking over. His initial response was I would get it but have to fund my families lifestyle as the business, incorrectly, has been used over the years to do that. I said I wouldn't do that which then brought up me buying it from him. I said well I was underpaid, my mistake assuming, thinking I would get the agency at the end. So why would I buy it when I wrote the vast majority of everything while underpaid. Over the years I have been offered executive jobs elsewhere making over $400k but I wanted to help my dad and the thoughts of being my own boss one day and continuing the office. Right now, my dad still comes in but generally works on random things/no clients as he does the occasional life policy every few months. I oversee appointments, sales, advertising, renewals, even supplies for the office.

Then it comes up where if I did get the office, then to be fair to my other family members, I would get less inheritance which is an extremely sizeable amount.

It is not all about money but I do not think it is fair overall on the situation being played out. Our circumstance is very unique where our main company/60% of commissions comes from a carrier that has an extremely high bar for qualifying every year vs. my dad has been with them forever so that bar doesn't apply. If I miss the quota, I'm out with them even though a "legacy". Or they could non renew everything, like we've seen others do.

He is working on getting a valuation for the book with someone now but I don't really get what the end game of it all is... His main priority is my family being taken care of at my expense I feel. If the office makes $1m and family expenses are $300k, then I would have to make sure those are covered based on his reasoning forever. Or he could go and sell it to whoever, I said I would be out and go open my own things in a different state since FL is so volatile.

I guess I am just trying to get other input if I am being greedy, partially right, or they are wrong cause when I talk to them it sounds like I am the jerk of it all. Sounds like a Dear Abby post but no one else to really ask.

This is not uncommon at all. If you run the business and the team are loyal to you, then it won't have nearly as much value to an acquirer as if you keep running it, so you definitely have some leverage.

That said, more value gets destroyed by families fighting over resources than almost anywhere else and so finding a mediator makes a ton of sense.

Based on the limited info you shared, it seems like you buying it by paying the 300k for some number of years makes a lot of sense and your Dad will get more cash long-term through an installment sale then if he sells the book and business outright.

There should be a middle ground that has you buying it at a fair price that recognizes your help in growing it as well as his role in founding and owning it and you paying for it from its future earnings.

Based on what I read in this scenario - the good news is there is likely not a noncompete in this situation. The bad news is that this is Florida and its next to impossible to open up a new shop across the street.

If it were me, I would negotiate hard until a breaking point. Then I would pull back and start working 20 hours a week and become engaged in another business and allow the family business to diminish until all of the parties started to understand your value. A couple of scremaing clients and lower income will quickly change everyone's opinion.

Your father could sell the business, but numerous potential owners will be turned off if the main producer is not involved [or has a vested interest] in the sale.

Stand your Ground, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m really at that breaking point of it all. I try to step back and put less effort in but I’ve written so many of our accounts a lot of the incoming calls are for me. I’ve been big on writing high value homes and our book had grown to carry a large chunk of that which no one else is comfortable on.

I’ve had where I’m gone for 3 days and getting calls about clients needing help. Hell, when my last kid was born I was taking calls 2 days after at home and instead of being home for a month to help my wife I came back after a week. I just think everything’s taken fore granted on what I have done. Just with one company I wrote about 1m last year myself. Then another I did about 1.25m in the year. And we are a small office. Just one idea I had led to that 1.25 plus another 500k from the other agent that works for us growing that book. He got several hundred thousand in bonus and my Xmas bonus for the year was $800. I always had the mindset I’m not getting the big money cause it’ll be mine one day but not reality. Even with all the bonuses, and that was one company, he’s never offered me one cent. It’s just all about him making the money then when I ask for more, I’m made to feel guilty cause of all the expenses he has.

I spoke with him and said we need to get a solution in the next couple months or I’m out. He agreed and said we will have everything solved but I just feel no matter what way we do it of course not all parties will be happy.

I’m just venting on all this but suppose to have a call with mediator next week supposedly but I’ve been hearing that for months.

My view on it would be entering a partnership. Cost share expenses and revenue. Then trigger a time in the next few years where he’s done and gets a salary of $250k for 3 years or something then all done.

You need total separation with the inheritance and business. Do not intermingle the two.

Both of you get separate valuations on the book. Agree on FMV, and buy him out 100%.

Hint, get 2 valuations with one reflection you not being part of the firm... that is the value that would be fair to pay him...

You should easily be able to get a loan for at least part of the buyout. Pay him a residual salary for the rest over 5 years. But have him out as Owner completely with zero control.

Then the inheritance is what it is and split with zero consideration to the business.

---

If you cant agree on a fair price. Go out on your own. Sounds like you are more than capable. You could likely move over the majority of his P&C book. And any new life/di is all you then.

Get the valuation done (make sure they are industry specific), negotiate the amount with dad, then offer to pay him on a retention basis over 7-10 years with no interest. The net valuation will likely be EBIDTA based. At his "exit", he gets no salary etc but you will be paying him on the above buyout. If you want to sweeten the deal, offer him an earn out provision for 2 years where you would pay him double commission on any new business that he sells. This assumes that dad wants you to continue the business, or, Dad can always just sell to a PE ins agency, get a lump sum and call it a day and build in an employment contract for you for 1 year or two to offer you some short term stability.

Back