Farmers Agent Asks for New Decs Page in Order to Cancel

sam816

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Is this legit? she says it is their policy to have the new decs page if a cancellation is to be backdated, client already sent a request to cancel in writing.

I talked to her and asked her to show me the stipulation in their contract regarding this requirement.

How would you handle this?

TIA.

Hi Sam, I don't work for Farmer's, but yes, they can require one to backdate a cancellation. My former company would backdate up to 60 days without one. Each company has different guidelines. Hope this helps.

My former company would backdate up to 60 days without one. Each company has different guidelines. .

Thanks for the info.

Signed requests to cancel faxed on 3/8/16 asking for cancellation effective 3/4/16. They did not bring this up until yesterday.

I have dealt with other Farmers agents who weren't so difficult.

Is this legit? she says it is their policy to have the new decs page if a cancellation is to be backdated, client already sent a request to cancel in writing. I talked to her and asked her to show me the stipulation in their contract regarding this requirement. How would you handle this? TIA.

You should also ask for it before canceling. Otherwise it is a he said she said on your E&O.

Send them the Dec's so they have proof but don't send them the premium amount. How much they paid for it is none of their business.

Thanks for the info.

Signed requests to cancel faxed on 3/8/16 asking for cancellation effective 3/4/16. They did not bring this up until yesterday.

I have dealt with other Farmers agents who weren't so difficult.
Sounds like to me they are just getting around to doing it.

As a good practice, if you backdate cancel any policy that has a lien-holder, you should require proof of other coverage effective the date of the requested cancellation.

Now, nobody is going to knowingly cancel if they have a claim that they know they need to file, so the claim risk is low (not 0) but the liability to the lien-holder still exists. Remember, the policy is also in place to protect them, not just the insured.

There shouldn't be an issue in provided proof of coverage for a backdated cancellation request. You can blank out almost anything other then the effective dates, though it really doesn't matter. They already lost the client.

Should the agent have already cancelled it? Likely, but hey, we all make a mistake here and there. Pay it forward with some good karma.

Dan

I'd request some sort of coverage proof to backdate a cancellation too. Some carriers do not allow backdate at all - no matter coverage was placed it elsewhere or not.

Back