% FE Agents Making 6 Figures

Almost every big FE agency I've ever talked with about working for them, { and health insurance agencies for that matter, a few years ago when that was the fad, and mortgage insurance agencies, for that matter} wanted a check for $200 or more or less, before I could represent them. The last one I spoke with, which was a FE agency, a big one, wanted $199. Some of them want $130. It depends. I've heard of them asking for $300. A lot of these guys will tell you they can take it out of your future commissions, so you will never miss it.

My point was this: go to the big box store or auto parts store down the street, and turn in an application to work there. Then ask them, "do I need to write you a check for $200 to begin work?" They will think you are crazy. Yet it is standard practice for some reason in insurance.

Maybe they were trying to tell you something?

I have never been asked to pay anything. When I started they paid me $300 a week for months.

Maybe they were trying to tell you something?

I have never been asked to pay anything. When I started they paid me $300 a week for months.

You apparently did not apply at these agencies I'm talking about, they definitely do want a check up front or they tell you they will take it out of commissions later. One was a big mortgage protection agency which is mentioned on this forum, one was a FE agency mentioned lately on this forum, one was a health insurance agency also mentioned on this forum. Since we tend to see these threads killed if I mention the agencies, I think I shall refrain right now. :1cute:

You apparently did not apply at these agencies I'm talking about, they definitely do want a check up front or they tell you they will take it out of commissions later. One was a big mortgage protection agency which is mentioned on this forum, one was a FE agency mentioned lately on this forum, one was a health insurance agency also mentioned on this forum. Since we tend to see these threads killed if I mention the agencies, I think I shall refrain right now. :1cute:

1% why would we think the "national averages" changes cuz we sell FE.

It's comical we take advise on here from agents or manager or agency owners not knowing if they truly are succesfull longer than 2 years.

Aren't we supposed to follow, mimick, and try and duplicate the ones that truly make large amounts of money? Just a thought.

They do it.

A. It's pure profit from an agent that isn't going to committ longer than 3 days.
B. The "1" agent that does stick... It s pure profit.
C. It weeds out the ones who have been there done that and don't buy the dream there selling.
D. It's pure profit from the ones that drink the kook aid than flake completely.

haha funny stuff wino,

All kidding aside if you started in 1980 $300 a week is now = to $850.14 a week.... not too shabby! One would be hard pressed to find a deal like this today.

Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Pretty close. 1985 and yeah it was a good deal. Six months of $1,200.00, a book of business, a mentor, cubicle, free phone, free mail, office staff (single females), fresh batch of new (female) collage grads every few months, and several really good bars near by. The good old days.

Almost every big FE agency I've ever talked with about working for them, { and health insurance agencies for that matter, a few years ago when that was the fad, and mortgage insurance agencies, for that matter} wanted a check for $200 or more or less, before I could represent them. The last one I spoke with, which was a FE agency, a big one, wanted $199. Some of them want $130. It depends. I've heard of them asking for $300. A lot of these guys will tell you they can take it out of your future commissions, so you will never miss it.

My point was this: go to the big box store or auto parts store down the street, and turn in an application to work there. Then ask them, "do I need to write you a check for $200 to begin work?" They will think you are crazy. Yet it is standard practice for some reason in insurance.

Would you have been working FOR them or with them as self employed. Was the money they wanted for something like your first set of leads, business cards etc? Never heard of anyone charging a fee just to work with them but wouldn't be surprised.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pretty close. 1985 and yeah it was a good deal. Six months of $1,200.00, a book of business, a mentor, cubicle, free phone, free mail, office staff (single females), fresh batch of new (female) collage grads every few months, and several really good bars near by. The good old days.

Reminds me of my good old days in real estate, about that time period. Afternoons in bars with other real estate agents and we didn't need a motel for a hook up, we had plenty of empty houses with a lock box on the door. ha. Good times!

Last edited:
Paying a few hundreds bucks to an agency seems acceptable to me as long as they have something in place that refunds that money to you if you produce.

That way if you know you have what it takes to produce you don't sweat the $200/$300 because you know it's coming back to you. At the same time the agency is happy to refund the money because you are all you said you were, and not just some agent that can't produce jack squat.

Now if the fee is to pay for leads or supplies or something then....well I guess dig deep to see what you are really getting for the admission price.

Would you have been working FOR them or with them as self employed. Was the money they wanted for something like your first set of leads, business cards etc? Never heard of anyone charging a fee just to work with them but wouldn't be surprised.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reminds me of my good old days in real estate, about that time period. Afternoons in bars with other real estate agents and we didn't need a motel for a hook up, we had plenty of empty houses with a lock box on the door. ha. Good times!

It was a wild time. I could tell you some stories. :no:

Back