FE Objections.. Pre Paid Creamation in Place

You might say:

_Ms. Jones, I'm glad, for your childrens' sake, that you already have your cremation paid for. But there will be other expenses...you know...things like your final phone bill, final utility bill, lots of other small expenses that no one really thinks about.

Why don't you just do like everyone else is doing? (What's that?) she says. Well, everyone else is taking out a small $2k plan, some a little more than that. They want to make sure that NO ONE in their family has to struggle and pay part of their funeral. They really LOVE their family.

Ms. Jones, It sounds pretty good doesn't it?

Seriously, if I ever heard from my Mom or Dad that someone tried to pressure them with that type of line I'd have to go on the warpath.

I;m coming across a local chapel that sells prepaid funerals.. Today a woman sent in the reply card and wanted a creamtion and her friend. who was in the home with her, had a plan where she just gets creamated.. nothing else. My client wanted the same.. no service. no flowers nada.. and didnt want to give money to the son bec he;d have to make arrangements.. How do the pros overcome this objection..? I tried. they can go out of business, it;s the old way,.,. etc. I told her that plan costs double every 10 yrs, in my presention,, prob a mistake bec she zeroed in on how her friends plan wont go up no matter if she dies in 20 years, any tips.. I'm new to the biz.. thanks

You can't close em all. Move on to the next one

Sure they can send it, I just hope the restaurant wasn't expecting payment! :goofy:

I'm all for ideas, but trying to create a need where there is none will eventually backfire on you. Just move on to the next prospect.

So....if this is not a NEED that I just presented to the prospect.....well then.....who IS going to pay the final phone bill, final utility bill, property tax on the house, etc., etc.?

People buy Insurance so they don't leave a financial burden on their family, not just to pay for a cremation or funeral.

That's why these expenses are called Final Expenses.

Stating the simple truth to the prospect as I've laid out is not harming them at all. This discussion shows why some agents are more successful than others with their closing %.

Last edited:
Great discussion and banter back and forth on here, like always :goofy:

I have a few ways to offer the untraditional FE sale. You have already glossed over a couple, but not nailed it down. Don't shoot me if I am saying something that some of you know :biggrin:

Traditional - burial expenses, yada yada yada
Income replacement - what happens when you lose one of the SS checks for good, how are you going to transition from one income to the lower? Sell six months, one year (or more) worth of the lower of the two SS checks.
Inflation - cost of funeral/cremation doubles every 10 years (roughly)
Legacy - leaving a gift to a grandchild (college?) or relative (medical bills?) or their favorite charity or church in their memory.
Ancillary - all the stuff that adds up at the end like medical bills, phone bills, restaurant tabs :D, etc.

Most FE salesmen don't use the extra ideas to make a sale. It is not "creating a need" that wasn't there, it is solving a problem that "will be there" or a need that hasn't become a need yet, but will. Isn't that part of our jobs to prevent future problems from even being problems (LTC as an example)?

Hope that was helpful to some .... :cool:

I have a few ways to offer the untraditional FE sale. You have already glossed over a couple, but not nailed it down. Don't shoot me if I am saying something that some of you know :biggrin:

Income replacement - what happens when you lose one of the SS checks for good, how are you going to transition from one income to the lower? Sell six months, one year (or more) worth of the lower of the two SS checks.
Legacy - leaving a gift to a grandchild (college?) or relative (medical bills?) or their favorite charity or church in their memory.
Ancillary - all the stuff that adds up at the end like medical bills, phone bills, restaurant tabs :D, etc.

Most FE salesmen don't use the extra ideas to make a sale. It is not "creating a need" that wasn't there, it is solving a problem that "will be there" or a need that hasn't become a need yet, but will. Isn't that part of our jobs to prevent future problems from even being problems (LTC as an example)?

Spoken like a truly successful agent.

So....if this is not a NEED that I just presented to the prospect.....well then.....who IS going to pay the final phone bill, final utility bill, property tax on the house, etc., etc.?

People buy Insurance so they don't leave a financial burden on their family, not just to pay for a cremation or funeral.

That's why these expenses are called Final Expenses.

Stating the simple truth to the prospect as I've laid out is not harming them at all. This discussion shows why some agents are more successful than others with their closing %.

My comment was more directed towards buying it to throw a meal after the funeral. If that is all the need there is, then there really isn't one.

What you are referring to are real needs. Of course, if someone has no assets to pass on when they die, and no one is dependent on income, then no need for insurance either.

This is an excellent post that all FE agents should memorize. Keeps it simple and easy to explain.

My comment was more directed towards buying it to throw a meal after the funeral. If that is all the need there is, then there really isn't one.

What you are referring to are real needs. Of course, if someone has no assets to pass on when they die, and no one is dependent on income, then no need for insurance either.

Unless the proposed insured would like to pass along some extra $$$ tax free to someone.

There are 5 reasons people don't buy;

No Trust

No need

No money

No urgency

No desire

If you can't overcome ALL of these, you will not sell a policy that stays on the books. Some excellent salespeople can get over part of these temporarily and get an application. It will not stick.

Unless the proposed insured would like to pass along some extra $$$ tax free to someone.

That is a want, that is not a need. That better be there before you get there if you want a quality deal. Now, if you want to be the used car salesman, go ahead and try to create that want.

Back