Final Expense Trade Magazine or Periodical

As the former Editor of Life Insurance Selling, I’ll say the corporate decision to "merge" it with National Underwriter Life & Health seemed short-sighted at the time and even more so now – made primarily by one (since eliminated) VP with a short time in the industry.

Life Insurance Selling was profitable, a great feeder of content to LifeHealthPro, and had a passionate reader base of insurance sales professionals. The magazine had been around since 1926 – but the VP figured NU L&H had been around even longer and had better overall insurance industry name recognition. So he merged them and the LIS name disappeared.

Yes, many industry print magazines were shrinking as carriers and FMOs were transitioning their ad budgets more to online advertising and lead generation options. But print still had (has) its place – especially with the average age of the LIS reader in their 50s and still enjoying the tangible print experience they’d always known, much like the OP said.

In my old office we had the full archive of old LIS issues and I would often look back to editions from the pre-Internet 1980s that were nearly 300 pages thick and chock full of great peer-to-peer sales ideas and case studies.

Putting together that final issue of Life Insurance Selling a few years back now was a tough experience. Hated that such a venerable old title suffered a premature death on my watch.

All that being said, I'm very happy to be at Insurance Forums - a true home of peer-to-peer sharing of ideas, solving problems, exploring opportunities and forging the road ahead.

As the former Editor of Life Insurance Selling, I’ll say the corporate decision to "merge" it with National Underwriter Life & Health seemed short-sighted at the time and even more so now – made primarily by one (since eliminated) VP with a short time in the industry.

Life Insurance Selling was profitable, a great feeder of content to LifeHealthPro, and had a passionate reader base of insurance sales professionals. The magazine had been around since 1926 – but the VP figured NU L&H had been around even longer and had better overall insurance industry name recognition. So he merged them and the LIS name disappeared.

Yes, many industry print magazines were shrinking as carriers and FMOs were transitioning their ad budgets more to online advertising and lead generation options. But print still had (has) its place – especially with the average age of the LIS reader in their 50s and still enjoying the tangible print experience they’d always known, much like the OP said.

In my old office we had the full archive of old LIS issues and I would often look back to editions from the pre-Internet 1980s that were nearly 300 pages thick and chock full of great peer-to-peer sales ideas and case studies.

Putting together that final issue of Life Insurance Selling a few years back now was a tough experience. Hated that such a venerable old title suffered a premature death on my watch.

All that being said, I'm very happy to be at Insurance Forums - a true home of peer-to-peer sharing of ideas, solving problems, exploring opportunities and forging the road ahead.

Brian,

I haven't held a good insurance related periodical in my hand since my last issue of Life Insurance Selling. I still receive a few magazines but they're not the same in any capacity. I like Insurance Forums but it lacks professionalism on the part of many of the participants. It's great to hear from a former editor of LIS and I hope you're not offended when I state that Insurance Forums could be better organized. There's always room for improvement, isn't there? This thought may require a little imagination but when an agent or anyone else for that matter can start a thread at any time it's nearly similar to having an article in LIS appear scattered all throughout that month's issue and without reference pages pointing to the other pages related to that same topic. I'm grateful for the presence of Insurance Forums but the related threads are many and often lost among the many other related threads.

I can only wish that Mr. Peabody and Poindexter would set the wayback machine to October 2013 (60 days preceding the decision to merge LIS with The National Underwriter.

Thank you for your contribution.

By the way, was LIS the magazine that included the quick quotable closes near the end of each issue? If not, that's another magazine that I miss.

I learned about LIS shortly after starting my career in the '90's. I read every issue cover to cover, and kept many of them for future reference (still have a couple somewhere!). I felt they were more in touch with the family insurance man, like me, than were the other industry publications. I continued to subscribe to National Underwriter after the merge. But I decided not to renew just a couple of months ago, when I realized that I had three unopened issues on my desk. It's become so irrelevant to the type of business I do as to be practically useless. I've got no problem with digital formats, but I'm with the op in expressing a fondness for the well written & useful material that we found in LIS. The real time peer to peer communication in the forums is great, but I do miss that mag!

I learned about LIS shortly after starting my career in the '90's. I read every issue cover to cover, and kept many of them for future reference (still have a couple somewhere!). I felt they were more in touch with the family insurance man, like me, than were the other industry publications. I continued to subscribe to National Underwriter after the merge. But I decided not to renew just a couple of months ago, when I realized that I had three unopened issues on my desk. It's become so irrelevant to the type of business I do as to be practically useless. I've got no problem with digital formats, but I'm with the op in expressing a fondness for the well written & useful material that we found in LIS. The real time peer to peer communication in the forums is great, but I do miss that mag!

I first subscribed to LIS in the 70s.. and I also continued to subscribe after the change but no longer read it for the reasons you stated. The same way with the the Life Underwriters Association. Was a member for years but after the change to NAIFA, it seemed their focus shifted so I quit.. The local associations all went by the wayside. ..

I first subscribed to LIS in the 70s.. and I also continued to subscribe after the change but no longer read it for the reasons you stated. The same way with the the Life Underwriters Association. Was a member for years but after the change to NAIFA, it seemed their focus shifted so I quit.. The local associations all went by the wayside. ..
I was a member of NALU, then NAIFA my entire career, until I moved to Texas. I was going to join in TX until I learned that this state's association had taken a public position antagonistic to small face amount life policies. Why would I give my money to support that?

Back