Find Face Amount of Policy?

chaseman

Expert
Hello, My friend's mother recently passed away. She had a life insurance policy. My friend and his brother are handling all of the affairs of the funeral, etc...They do not have the actual policy, but they do have a copy of the policy's first page with the policy number. It is with American Health & Life (Fort Worth, TX). They signed the policy over to the funeral home to pay for the burial. The problem is, they do not know what the face amount of the policy is. They are not worried about the money for themselves, as they will likely give away any money left over to relatives. What they are concerned about is the funeral home not disclosing the face amount to them. They are concerned that if there is money left over after funeral expenses, the funeral home will keep it all. His brother found out that he is not the beneficiary. I told my friend that he should call the company himself & ask them if he is the beneficiary. The company will not tell anyone who the beneficiary is. If there is not a beneficiary listed at all, how would the money be dispersed. If you have any ideas or recommendations, I would appreciate it.

So who assigned the policy to funeral home? Your friend or his brother? If they are not the beneficiary, I doubt the insurance company will honor the assignment.

It sounds like neither is the beneficiary. If there is a different beneficiary, then that person would be able to claim the money. If there is no beneficiary, then it will go to the insured's estate and will be disposed of in accordance with insured's will and estate.

You can also try calling the company and see if they will just provide the agent's name. The agent may have record of the policy or be able to assist. The agent of record usually isn't protected as much as beneficiary or policy info.

You can also try calling the company and see if they will just provide the agent's name. The agent may have record of the policy or be able to assist. The agent of record usually isn't protected as much as beneficiary or policy info.

That's a good idea.

Back